25: Katie

KATIE'S POVMarch 17th

KATIE'S POV
March 17th

I startled awake to the sound of the phone ringing. I blinked in the darkness, disoriented, before I realized I had accidentally fallen asleep on the armchair in the living room. After the fourth or fifth ring, I jumped up to answer it.

"Hello?" My voice was groggy, thick from sleep. Plus, almost drowning didn't know exactly help my voice clarity.

"Katie?" Jake's voice was tight.

My stomach dropped. I had forgotten to call him back. How long ago had that been? "Hey, Jake."

I could hear the concern and apology in his voice. "Did I wake you up?"

"It's okay. I'm sorry I didn't call you back," I said quietly, trying not to wake Bella, who was asleep on the couch.

"It's okay. God, I miss you, Katie. Things are... tense around here. Nobody likes this situation."

"I know. I'm not a fan of it, either," I muttered bitterly. I had no idea where Alice was at the moment, but I knew she was probably listening to me.

"Any updates?"

I hesitated. "Well, our little visitor is Alice Cullen."

"And... are the rest coming back, too? How long is she planning on staying?" They were questions Sam had asked Jake to clarify, I'm sure.

I shook my head, then realized he couldn't see me. "The rest aren't coming back. Just her. And I don't think she's staying long. Alice just... she saw Bella jump off the cliff and thought Bella died. Wanted to help Charlie out. But... well, clearly Bella isn't dead."

"What do you mean, saw Bella jump? She watched it happen?" I could picture him frowning into the phone.

"No. She has... well, in the simplest of terms, she can see the future." Something I hadn't ever thought to mention to him, thinking that the Cullens would never be coming back.

A moment of silence. "She can see the future? But she didn't see us save Bella from drowning? And didn't see you driving back to the house?"

"Basically. Alice was confused as to how Bella was alive. She never saw me jump in after her. Or see you pull her from the water."

"Interesting..." he said dryly. Then, he sighed. "I wish she was gone. I've almost broken the treaty dozens of times today. I just want to see you."

I swallowed. "I'll leave first thing tomorrow morning. I'll just get ready for the funeral at your house."

"Is the bloodsucker planning on leaving before the funeral?" A certain viciousness had reentered his quiet voice.