31: Katie

KATIE'S POVMarch 20th

KATIE'S POV
March 20th

As soon as we landed in Atlanta, Alice woke me up with a gentle shake on the shoulder. I blinked groggily, rubbing my eyes, and followed them off the plane in a fog.

As soon as everyone was situated, I decided to peel off and call Jacob. I looked around until I found a secluded place and pulled out my phone, needing to hear his voice, even if that meant I was sent to voicemail. I dialed the numbers quickly, crossing my fingers he was awake. I still had no idea what time it was. It was night, maybe early in the morning, so he was probably asleep.

He picked up after two rings. "Katie?" Jake asked hopefully.

I let out a breath. "Jake!" I exclaimed, my voice cracking at the end. "I don't know what time it is. Sorry if I woke you."

"Thank God. You're okay— I've been sleeping with my phone by my bed for the last few days. I'm so relieved I feel like I could run a marathon right now." His voice is raspy from sleep, but soothing.

"Me too."

"You sound like you just woke up. Where are you?" Jake asked.

"We're in Atlanta. About to connect back to SeaTac." I look at my lap. "I tried to call you before we left Italy, but the payphones I found could only service local calls."

"It's okay. I'm so glad to hear your voice. I miss you."

"Me too."

"When does your connecting plane leave?" He asked, yawning a little.

"I don't remember. I think Edward said our plane leaves at 5 am here and that we'd be getting to SeaTac at 8 local time because of the time change." I sigh, dreading sitting so long.

"Oh. So... you were successful, then?" He's hesitant, waiting to gage my reaction. "And... he's coming back with you two?"

"I think that's the plan," I choke out. Even though he can't see me, I frown slightly. "Honestly, I kind of regret it, though. Edward's a royal pain in the ass," I joke, trying to lighten the mood.

He takes the bait. "Want me to kill him for you?"

I laugh. "After all we just went through? I appreciate the offer, but no."

He laughs, too, and I curl my knees to my chest. I ask,"so, how's it going in Forks?"

"Boring, without you." I can tell by his tone that he's grinning. He clears his throat suddenly, and I can picture him rubbing the back of his neck. "By the way... Charlie is pissed. I don't think it helped my case. He thought I had something to do with it."

"Oh no," I whisper, even though I had already suspected this might happen. "I'm sorry."

"You better be. Now I'm going to have to sneak around if I want to see you every day," he teases.