Chapter V

The Wanderer had been at sea for days.

At first, it had been hard for Team RWBY to get used to. Their room smelled awful, and the feeling of the ship rocking back and forth with the waves left Ruby feeling seasick early on. Blake stayed inside, her cat side making her frightened over the water. Weiss was disgusted by the Wanderer's lack of quality.

But Yang, on the other hand, endured with a smile on her face. Sure the living conditions weren't great, but this was the life of an adventurer. Though she had the constant thoughts of her mother, and the anticipation of what was next, she couldn't help her excitement to finally be living the life she had been seeking for so long. She was really the only reason the rest of her team started having a good time.

Yang stood on deck, looking out at the ocean. Behind her, the ship's cook, a man nicknamed Lumpy, was peeling potatoes. Sitting beside him was a little monkey, called Ignatz.

"Hey, Lumpy," she said, "how many potatoes have you peeled?"

Lumpy chuckled, dropping the last potato into a bucket.

"Too many," he said. "Some day, I'll go back to Mantle. I'll never have to see potatoes again."

Yang chuckled. She walked over to him, and sat down. Ignatz chattered in excitement, and climbed onto her lap. She giggled and started petting him. At that moment, Ruby arrived.

"Hey, no fair! I wanna play with the monkey!"

Yang smiled up at Ruby. "Be my guest."

Ruby knelt down, and carefully reached out to pet Ignatz.

"Go on," Yang said. "He won't bite."

"Yes he will," Ruby said. "I tried to pet him before and he tried to bite me."

As if in response to what Ruby had said, Ignatz snarled at her, and swung a hand at hers. Ruby retracted her hand.

"See?!" she said.

Yang started stroking Ignatz's fur, and the snarling monkey quickly calmed down and snuggled up into her lap.

Dr. Oobleck approached, having seen Ignatz's attack at Ruby, and how quickly he had calmed down at Yang's touch.

"Beauty and the Beast," he mumbled.

Ruby turned around and looked up at him. "Huh?"

Oobleck raised his voice. "Beauty and the Beast. Have you heard of the fairy tale?"

Yang nodded. "A beast falls in love with a beautiful woman, or something like that."

"It is much more complicated than that," Oobleck said. "The beast was a tough guy, just like your monkey friend here. But when he saw beauty, he cracked and went soft, just as Ignatz has gone soft on you, Yang."

Yang smiled, and looked back down to Ignatz. "This guy's not a beast. He's a little sweetheart."

"He's a demon," Ruby hissed.

She stood up and backed away from Yang and Ignatz. She turned to Oobleck, and saw him walking away.

"Professor!" she called as she ran after him.

Oobleck spun right back around to face her. "Doctor."

Ruby paused at that. She glanced back at Yang for a moment. She was distant enough that her sister couldn't hear her, and she was too occupied with Ignatz to pay any attention to either one of them.

Ruby looked back up to Oobleck. "I need to ask you something."

"What's your trouble, Ruby?" Oobleck asked.