The Party Tent

"Hello Hadley Fisher."

Hadley turned to find Ruqwik and Trisca standing right in front of her. She almost choked on her new drink, inelegantly placing it back onto the bar. Hadley Fisher? Did Ruq tell her that Hadley was good at using Jael's traps to catch fish?

"My name is Trisca. Welcome to my Enclave. I begged Ruqwik here to introduce us. I hope you don't mind," Trisca said, taking Hadley's hand and giving her knuckles a light kiss. "You look lovely. Absolutely riveting! Like a queen of the Wildlings would."

The compliment pleased Hadley. She was glad to know she'd fit in with the Wildlings.

Ruqwik was livid but tried to hide it with a plastic smile. Hadley figured she must have been embarrassed by the fish thing, but secretly hoped it was because she was a little jealous Trisca complimented her first.

Trisca turned to Hadley's right, where Jamila stood, and the vampire's smile widened.

"Really, you all do look quite ravishing." Trisca said, her eyes glued to Jamila, whose hand she took and gave a light kiss as well. "I hope you're enjoying yourselves?"

Hadley nodded, keeping her eyes on the titian beauty, but Trisca's eyes didn't leave Jamila's. That little prick of jealousy Hadley had wished on Ruq hit her instead.

"Ruq, I had no idea just how gorgeous your girlfriends were," Trisca said, she finally turned away from Jamila to face Ruq. "Do we get to share? Like old times? I like the one with the golden eyes."

Trisca didn't wait for an answer. She turned back to Jamila and took her hand once more. "Dance with me?"

Jamila turned to Hadley and Ruq, uncertainty in her eyes. Ruq gave her a subtle nod. Jamila accepted Trisca's offer. Before they had walked away, Ruq reached for Trisca's forearm.

"Hurt her and I kill you," Ruq said, still holding that plastic smile that did nothing to hide the burning rage in her eyes.

Trisca laughed. "I've always loved your sense of humour Ruq! Never change."

She said the last phrase with a wink. Ruq freed Trisca's arm and let her lead Jamila to the dancefloor where she made a sign to the one playing the music. A new song with an upbeat tempo began.

"Ruq?" Hadley said, looking at the vampire with fear. Hadley remembered Trisca's gaze from earlier. The one of contemptuous familiarity. A shiver ran down her spine.

"Jamila will be fine," Ruq assured Hadley.

They both turned to face Jamila and Trisca. Jamila was laughing as Trisca twirled her and then pulled her close, her hand falling gently on Jamila's waist.

"See. She's having fun. Trisca is harmless." Ruqwik said, her voice strained.

"Are you trying to convince me or yourself?" Hadley asked with a scoff as she watched her lover dance with the vampire Master and Baron who taught Teroi everything there was to know about how to please a woman. The same woman who also had smouldering chemistry with Hadley's new object of infatuation. "I don't trust her, Ruq. We already know that the woman has no regard for the safety of this tent."

Ruq turned to Hadley, confused. "What do you mean?"

"After what you two just did? Some kind of fire suppression system should have immediately been triggered!" Hadley said, taking another sip of fire water. She was starting to feel warm and fuzzy all over.

Ruqwik laughed and took the glass away from Hadley.

"I think that's enough for tonight," Ruq said, still laughing. "And besides, the sensors probably picked up on all the drool at your feet and figured that was enough to put out any blaze."