The Cave

"Is it true?" Hadley demanded.

She'd found Ruqwik with Drew and Brownie.

It was difficult to be fully mad with the vampire right then. Hadley resisted the urge to smile at the cute scene made by Drew and Brownie attacking Ruq, and the vampire humouring them by dropping to the ground and dramatically feigning defeat, much to the delight of the boy and dog.

Ruq turned to Hadley. "Hello Hadley."

The vampire stood and asked Drew to give her and Hadley some privacy. Drew obliged, giving Ruq a hug and throwing a quick hello to Hadley before running towards Jamila in the distance, the dog following close. Hadley had noticed that it was either Ruq or Jamila that the boy was always seeking out to hang around. The little twinge of jealousy that zipped past her at the realisation caught her off guard, but she ignored it because she had something a lot more important to deal with right now.

"We'll be leaving soon," Ruqwik said, brushing leaves off her clothes. "Are you ready? I was looking for you earlier, but they told me that you'd left with Teroi."

"Were you looking for me so you could tell me about the Masters you're gathering behind my back to Turn me?" Hadley asked, almost shouting the words.

"As a matter of fact, I was," Ruq replied calmly. Her calm annoyed Hadley.

"No."

"What?"

"I don't want to be a vampire."

"Most humans would jump at this chance, Hadley."

"I can't believe you said that to me like you think I would care."

Ruqwik sighed but kept her calm.

"This isn't just about you, Hadley. It's bigger than you. Bigger than us both."

"How is this not about me? You're talking about turning me into a vampire!"

"If I don't become a Master a whole Enclave falls to ruins. This is about thousands of lives depending on us both. Depending on what we do in this moment. You can help me save them all." Ruq tried to explain.

Hadley didn't feel any of Ruq's urgency, and she didn't care to. Why would she? This wasn't her fight!

"Listen, Hadley. You may not have meant to, but you already started the Turning ritual," Ruq continued. "All we're doing is completing it. We'll settle the bond between us and gift you with immortality to protect that bond."

Hadley took a moment to breathe and sort out her thoughts.

"Would I still birth my child if you turn me?" Hadley asked, her voice shaking.

Ruqwik didn't hesitate. "No. You won't be able to give birth, but when you grow strong enough, you can become a Master. And then you can have as many vampire fledglings as you wish."

"How long?" Hadley asked.

"A hundred and fifty years for most vampires," Ruq said. Hadley's eyes went wide, her jaw hitting the ground. "It will go by faster than you think. I promise."

Hadley shook her head and backed away.

"Conception Day is only a few days away!" Hadley whispered. "My daughter is almost here. I can't... I can't just ignore that, Ruq."

"What?" Ruq asked, as if what Hadley had said didn't mean anything to her. But why would it? From what she'd just said, vampires had no concept of conception. No idea of how precious the gift of this capability was.

"I'll be pregnant soon, Ruq. I won't let that chance go! Not after everything I've done! All the shit I've in the last week has been because of my daughter! For my daughter. I won't let her go. Not for you, not for an Enclave that I know nothing about or care for, not for immortality, not for anything."