Epilogue

I am not dying. Not anymore.

Not like Mama. She grew old. I do not grow at all. She could hurt. I do not hurt anymore.

I remember how thirsty I was for water back then. When I thought it was the end. But I do not drink water. Not anymore. Only blood quenches my thirst. Human or vampire blood. It is difficult to come by either, these days. I wonder if I will feel thirst again soon. I get angry when I do.

The sun burns when it hits our skin now. We stay in the shadows. I felt lost for so long. I do not like feeling lost. We had a purpose once. To hunt, kill, drink. Over and over again to stay in control. But the humans and vampires work together now. They have become too powerful. And the living dead cannot be trusted, or their purpose understood.

In the end, I walk away. I follow the voice calling out to me. To us. I have to find the owner of the voice.

How far away is she?

The hunger is biting now. The pain reaching a limit. But the voice is insistent. The call must be answered. I've been joined by my pack and the packs of many other alphas. I made them like me. And now, they follow the call too. The building is large and most of it is in ruins. The grounds are littered with the dusty remains of the bodies that did not wake from death or if they did, were silenced once again.

We must get inside. Find the voice. Answer the call.

We have been digging for weeks now. We have found a way through.

We have found her. The one who calls to us.

She is hidden in a room of silver and shattered glass.

The hunger is not important anymore. She is. She is lying on her side. Human, but not. The others are afraid. Understandable. I am afraid too. But I am the True Alpha. I am the beginning. I will wake her. I pull the steel rod from her skull. My hackles rise as the wound heals and she stirs. She heals like one, but she is not a vampire. She is something more. Something kin. She will hunt with us. For us. Part of the pack.

Leader of the pack.

When she awakes, she looks at us with her glowing orange eyes, and I back away.

I am the Beta now.

With my head low, my body screaming for blood, the call of her voice ringing in my ears and my vision blurred by rage, I give a low gruff and bow.

I no longer fear the hunger.

I fear her.

But our new Alpha will care for us.

She will feed us.

She will give us a new life.

Just like Mama.