VIII

"I only hear mumbling and muted sounds as I struggle to regulate my breathing. I keep my eyes closed."

Y/n's pov:)

Someone crouches beside me and rubs my back, mumbling something at the same time. I jump back and raise my arms. I wipe my eyes to see Morticia in front of me. I start sobbing even harder. She carefully hugs me. I wrap my hands around her and just sob. We stay there for what feels like hours. I finally start calming down after twenty minutes.

"It's ok, I'm here", she assures me. I breathe in and out shakily, still holding onto her. "Y/n?" She says. "Mhmm?" I hum back sniffling. "Do you want to go back to your room?" She asks, playing with my hair. I slowly shake my head 'no' and let out an unintentional whimper. I don't want to be alone right now.

"How about we go to my dorm for a while?" She offers. I nod. She lets go of me and stands up. I try to stand up, but I get lightheaded. I grab onto Morticia's hand for support and lean into her a bit. I rub my eyes and wait for it to go away. After a few seconds I feel better. I look at our hands and let go immediately. "Sorry", I apologise flustered. Morticia just chuckles and starts walking towards her dorm. I follow her like a little duckling.

We arrive at her dorm. I missed being here. It looks exactly the same as last time. "Y/n, come here", Morticia calls for me from the bathroom. I enter and see her with a wet wipe. "I can clean the blood off myself", I comment embarrassed. "Okay", she smiles and gives me the wet wipe. She leaves the bathroom and I start cleaning the dried blood from my face. I'm going to have bruises on my neck. I throw the wipe in the trash and roll my sleeves up. I turn on the faucet and wash my face with cold water. I let the coolness of the water sink in before I dry my face. I wipe my eyes and look at myself in the mirror. I've certainly looked better.

I step out of the bathroom and see that she's lighting the fireplace. I gaze at the warm flame, then advert my eyes on her. She turns around and stops for a second. I stare back at her in confusion. I stand still, worrying that I did something wrong.

"..I talked to Larissa. We both agreed that you should have a few days to rest. Does that sound good?" She announces. I nod and walk towards her. Suddenly it hits me. My arms. My heart sinks, but I act dumb. I slowly pull my sleeves down as if nothing happened. I sit beside her and lean my head on her shoulder. We both stare at the crackling fire in silence. The heat of the flame warms my cold blood.

"We'll talk about your arms later, right now it's better to just relax", she declares smoothly. I don't even dare to look at her. I struggle to keep my eyes open. I feel slumber taking over my body. "Can I stay in your room tonight?" I desperately ask her, turning to face her. She stays quiet for a while. "I don't think that's the best idea", she states. "Please? I can sleep on the couch", I practically beg her. I know I'm being very pushy, but I won't be able to sleep in my room alone. She looks down at me and sighs slowly. "..Alright", she mutters hesitantly. I suppress my smile.

Morticia gets up from the ground and goes to her bed. I walk over to the couch and sit down. She hands me a pillow and a blanket. "Thank you", I say. I set my 'bed' and place my phone and headphones on a nearby table. Morticia is in the bathroom brushing her teeth. I figured I'd just skip brushing my teeth tonight so I wait for her on the couch. She comes back. "Here's a toothbrush for you, you can use my toothpaste", she hands me a plastic toothbrush. I stand up and head to the bathroom. I brush my teeth to get rid of the metallic taste of blood in my mouth. I spit out the toothpaste and rinse my mouth with water.