Chapter 19: Next Morning!

As it always does, the Sun shone through the windows, illuminating the start of a brand new day. Its light rays gently lit up the entire room, signaling the time for our two farmers to wake up.

Claire rolled onto her side. Is it... morning already? She groaned softly as she stretched her arms above her head. A new day. She opened her eyes, only to be greeted with a familiar face.

Claire stared at the side profile of the calm sleeping face. Hearing the soft breaths leaving his lips. This is...? She rubbed her eyes, clearing her vision. There was definitely someone sleeping beside her. On the same bed.

"...!" Her eyes widened as a surge of adrenaline rushed through her arm, reaching for her hammer. But before she could act on it, she quickly remember where she was and who this sleeping person is.

... Calm down, Claire. She plopped herself back onto the bed. You moved out of the city to start a new life on the farm. And you're staying together with a housemate! She sighed deeply and clapped her face. Yesterday's morning would not repeat itself today. I feel a little proud of myself!

"Mnnngh..." The sleepy person slowly opened his eyes, blinking as he did.

"Morning, Pete." Claire greeted him softly. "A peaceful morning, isn't it?"

He turned to her, not fully aware of her words. "Morning, Claire..."

Pete stretched his arms outwards and kicked his feet onto the floor, still gathering his spirits. Morning, huh? I think I slept well. It was a little cramped as expected, but he woke up soundly. His head didn't ring loudly like yesterday.

"I didn't hit you with a hammer!" She smiled proudly. "I managed to hold myself back!"

"Ah, right." He scratched his hair. So that's what she meant by peaceful morning. "I appreciate that."

Pete stood up from the bed and again stretched his arms upwards, resulting in some satisfying cracks. Claire followed after, getting off the bed.

"It's gonna take some time for me to get used to sleeping like this." He rubbed his back.

"Me too." Claire nodded. "I keep thinking I'll wake up alone back in my apartment."

"I imagine your old place was more comfortable?"

"I can't deny that." She folded her arms. "I also didn't have to remind myself I had a housemate."

"I'm sure the days will fly by, and you won't think about hammering me in the hea—..."

KNOCK KNOCK!

Pete and Claire's eyes shifted to the sounds coming from the door. They exchanged glances before looking at the door again.

"Is someone here early in the morning?" Claire asked.

"Maybe it's Mayor Thomas?" Pete briefly raised his shoulders before turning to the door. "He's quite a busy man."

Pete walked to the door, with Claire following behind. He pulled the door open. Let's see who's here early this morning.

"Good morning!" A man greeted them joyfully. "I'm sorry to disturb you at this early hour!"

Pete blinked a few times. He scanned the man's appearance from top to bottom, realizing this was not the mayor of Mineral Town. Perhaps the most striking feature was the apple in his hand.

"Oh, uh

"Oh, uh... Good morning."

"Ah, I humbly apologize. I have not introduced myself." The man coughed into his fist. "I am Huang, a traveling merchant. I heard there was a farmer that took residence here recently."

"Oh, yes... it's nice to meet you, Huang." Pete nodded, offering his hand. A traveling merchant...? "My name is Pete."

"Ah, of course." Huang drew his hand to his. "A pleasure to make your acqu—..."

"And I'm Claire!" she popped beside Pete and waved. "We arrived here just two days ago."

"... Huh?" Huang stared at Pete, then at Claire, then back at Pete. "My apologies, there are... two of you?"

"Uh, yeah..." Pete rubbed the back of his head. We'll have to go through this experience many times, won't we? Considering the state of the farm, it was no surprise that people assumed a single farmer would take residence here.

"We're the two new farmers," Claire added. "It's... a long story to explain, but we're both farm owners!"

"I... see." Huang adjusted his glasses. What a curious situation. What is their relationship? Siblings? Friends? Lovers? "I, too, have just arrived in this town recently. It is an honor to meet you both."

"Likewise!" Claire smiled.

"So...!" Huang briefly looked around the farm and rubbed his hands together. "I see this farm belongs to you both, yes?"

"That's right." Pete nodded.

"As it so happens..." Huang drew out a side of his yellow coat, revealing the many items hanging underneath. "I have many seeds for sale. Rare seeds. Unique seeds." He waved his hand at his noticeably different seed packets. "Come see my wares and buy them if you're interested."

"Oh...?" Pete's eyes widened as he took in the sight of the seed packets. Those look different. I don't think those are available in the seed store.

"Oh...!" Claire's eyes sparkled with curiosity as she stroked her chin. There are other seed packets?! "Pete, those seed packets don't look like the turnip seeds we bought before!"

Huang chuckled silently. The contrasting reactions between the two farmers were rather endearing. "Mr. Zack has generously allowed me to stay at his home in Mineral Beach. I have opened my store there."

"Oh, Zack?" Pete raised a brow. So, he lives on the beach, huh?

"Yes, I believe you are already acquainted with him." Huang closed his coat and clasped his hands together. "Come whenever you like. I always welcome new customers."

Pete nodded with a smile. "We'll make sure to stop by."

"Of course!" Claire followed. I'm curious about the seeds he's selling!

Huang smiled, then turned to the farm entrance. "Now if you'll excuse me, I must go and greet the other customers in town." He waved his hand. "Goodbye!"

The traveling merchant walked through the north farm exit, leaving the two farmers to their company. Pete and Claire exchanged glances with each other.

"What an interesting... fellow." Pete folded his arms.

"We'll definitely have to check out what he sells, Pete!" Claire clenched her fists in front of her. "We have to stop by the beach sometimes!"

Pete chuckled. She's awfully excited about this, but I'd be lying if I wasn't in the least bit curious. One of these days, they'd have to meet Huang and see what he has to offer.

First things first, the two farmers would need their morning baths!