Chapter 23: Chicken!

"Buk, buk, buk, ba-gawk!"

"... Hum?" Pete and Claire shifted their attention to what sounded like repeated clucking.

"Buk, buk, buk, ba-gawk!"

"That sounds like...?" Claire squinted her eyes in the direction of the animal-like sound, noticing a small white creature with a red feathery head dashing on the path towards them, clucking aggressively as it did.

Too aggressively, they would say.

"Is that a... chicken?" Pete blinked. It's... coming this way?

"Oh, it looks so cute!" Claire crouched and stretched her arms out. Interacting with animals was not something she could do in the city, and now an animal has presented itself! "Come here, little chicken!"

"Buk, buk, buk, ba-gawk!" Its eyes locked onto the blonde-haired human.

This chicken was on a mission.

"Uh..." Claire took a step back. Its piercing eyes made chills crawl down her spine and gave her second thoughts. As if she could feel that chicken was looking at her with murderous intent! That chicken is... coming straight this way, isn't it?

"BA-GAAAWK!" answered the chicken as it flapped its wings and let out a war cry.

"E-EEEEEP!" Claire squealed in terror. "GET AWAY FROM ME, YOU KILLER CHICKEN!"

"BUK, BUK!" A red glint flashed in the chicken's eyes as it tried to peck Claire.

"C-Claire?!" Pete called out.

"HELP ME, PETE!" Her eyes shut, Claire flared her arms out wildly, trying to fend off the attacking chicken. "IT'S TRYING TO EAT ME!"

"BUK, BUK!" The chicken ran in circles around the two farmers.

"Stand still!" Pete approached the chicken with careful steps; he readied his arms. This chicken is a feisty one!

"I DON'T WANT TO GET EATEN BY A CHICKEN!" Claire cried out as comical tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Calm down, no one's getting eaten today!" Pete threw his arms towards the chicken but it jumped to the side, dodging his grasp.

"Wait, Chickie! Come baaack!" A voice shouted in the distance. "You aren't supposed to leave our land!"

"Buk, buk?" The chicken craned its head around, taking notice of a girl running in their direction.

With a tender swiftness, Pete wrapped his arms around the chicken and lifted it. "Got'cha!"

"Goodness, Chickie!" The girl stopped in front of them. She panted for a moment before putting on a stern expression and raising her finger. "Only naughty little chickens turn tailfeather and run away like that. Didn't I tell you to stay put?"

Ah, does this chicken belong to this person? Pete thought as he gently patted the chicken. Chickie, huh...? That's a fitting name.

? That's a fitting name