3

Rue was awakened at the crack of dawn. Fear returned for a brief moment. But then, as if her brain had been working all night, a strategy emerged. And the prospect of doing something, anything, soothed her.

She jumped out of bed and put on a simple crop top and low-waisted jeans. She found her drunk and stinky father in the living room. He snored soundly.

“Look at him.” Her mother walked in with a bowl of last night’s left over, “The bastard has no shame.” she looked disgusted by her husband.

Rue knew it was not her battle to fight and as usual she ignored her mother’s remark and her drunk father.

“Heard Mr. Fox threw you a party.” Her mother turned to her.

She nodded.

“Are they now your family?” She knew that this conversation would only end in unwarranted squabbles.

“Mom, i have to go.”

“If you don’t bring groceries today, don’t bother coming back.”

As she left she noted a strange woman that walked over to her house and her mother welcomed her in.

She waited outside for Xana, they worked together at the supermarket.

Xana came out her house and smiled when she spotted Rue.

“Are you feeling better, now?” Xana asked and Rue nodded.

“Tony has a surprise for you, since you left early last night.” Xana said, and Rue struggled to feign interest she had no interest in boys her age.

“Isn’t Angie a little old for your father?” Rue spoke up, catching her friend off guard and completely avoiding Tony’s topic.

Xana stared at her bestfriend confused, “I think they are good together.”

“You are okay with her as your set mother.”

“Whoa! aren’t we moving too fast.” Xana spoke surprised.

“See i was right, she is not for him.” Rue countered.

“Why are you so invested in this?” Xana enquired confused.

“He is like a father to me, i want him to be happy.”

Xana was easily convinced, and Rue was glad when she bought into her words. Mat,Xana’s boyfriend, their ride finally arrived. She kissed him as he opened the door them. Mat was still in high school since he didn’t get enough credits to graduate. Rue wasn’t fond of him, he cheated and took her best friend for granted.

****

Rue finished loading the dishes and went to see if the twins had slept or if they were still playing. After she finished her day job, she would babysit Xana’s two sisters in the evening. Sarah and Sasha were eight-year-old twins who were cheeky and would become a nuisance to the neighbors if no one kept an eye on them.

Their mother was Mr. Fox’s second wife. She, like Xana’s mother, had died. Rue sympathized with his bad luck. The man had lost two of his wives!

She pushed the door open, and they were both asleep and uncovered on one bed. She walked in and moved Sasha’s leg from her sister’s back, Sarah. She covered them up and walked out, switching off the light.

Xana was still at her boyfriend’s place helping him with schoolwork. She had to wait for Mr. fox to return and relieve her.

Rue looked around the house she had visited so many times that it had become her second home. It had everything she wanted. She desired this life because she had always taken care of everyone and now she preferred to be taken care of. She had received an invitation to the state university, which was her dream, but she wanted first to see if something would materialize between her and Mr. fox.

“Rue.” She turned to the charming voice of Mr. Fox, “I got caught up with work.” He explained.

She smiled and dried her hands with the kitchen hand towel.

“It’s fine. “I didn’t realize.” She did, and all she could think about was him being with Angie. She’d seen them through her window last night as he pounded on her.

Mr. Fox shook his head. “You are young, i am sure you have other places you would rather be.” He commented.

Fox was a charismatic man who was well-liked by those around him. The single women flocked to his house in the hopes that he would notice them. He stood tall, had a fit and toned physique, a strong jawline and high cheekbones, and deep-set, sparkling eyes. Rue was neither immune nor resistant to him.

Rue had woken up with a plan, and that plan was to confess to Mr. fox how she felt. She hoped somewhere in him felt the same.

“I love being here,” She stated taking cautious steps towards him.

Fox, observed her motions trying to make sense out of it. “I have something i want to confess.” She moved closer enough to smell her favorite scent on him.

She observed how his throat thudded like a woodpeckers beak, he seemed concerned. preparing himself for the worst news. “What is it Rue?” His hand falling on her shoulder, urging her to trust him.

“I.... I...” The words wouldn’t leave her mouth.

“Are you all right? Do you need water?” Fox inquired of her. She appeared distraught and as if she was about to confess to murder.

“Water.” She spoke.

She had rehearsed what she would say to him, but now that it was time to executive the plan, she couldn’t.

She took a sip of the water that he gave her, and then prepared herself to say what was in her mind.

“I...” She looked into his eyes, an she knew this time there was no turning back, “I am in love with you.” She finally let the words out.