28

It is said that it never rains, it pours. The old adage was starting to make sense to Rue. Everything was falling apart for her. She lost her home, her father, sister - family, Mr. Fox, and now she was sure she was going to lose her best friend.

Rue swallowed a lump, her chest pain increasing with every passing second. She didn't know how to get out of her current situation.

She let out a dry laugh, "You don't remember...." Rue trailed off.

This seemed to agitate Xana further. She bit her lips harder and released it, "You stuck your head over my mother's photos and heart faces on my father!" She accused, with a dead stare.

It didn't look good, and it made Rue more nervous, "I can explain," she tried to diffuse the ugly situation.

It didn't work.

Xana shook her head, "This is sick," she spat, waving the album for her to see.

Rue's heart ached as she gazed into her friend's eyes, her own brimming with tears ready to cascade down her cheeks. The unmistakable look of disgust etched on her friend's face cut deep into her soul. Years of friendship, once a bond of unbreakable strength, now seemed fragile and tattered. They had been through storms together, but never had their conflicts reached such a bitter climax. It was as if the very fabric of their connection was tearing apart before her eyes.

She opened her mouth and nothing came out. She wasn't ready to add another lie on top of the others. Yet the truth appeared to be the one thing that would tear them apart for good.

"I was aware of how you looked at my father, I just assumed that you wanted a father figure and as a friend, I was happy you found that in my father," Xana's voice cracked in pain.

A sigh of defeat escaped her lips. Xana shook her head and turned to hide the hurt she was feeling. "I can't do this," she shut the album and turned on her heels.

Xana was never one to argue, neither did she like explanations. She would just ask you a direct question and expect a direct answer too. Either way, Rue knew she couldn't let her friend leave without at least an explanation.

She had to try.

Rue rushed after Xana down the stairs, "Xana, wait....please let me explain," she shouted.

"Stay away from me, Rue, and my father," Xana accelerated her speed. She almost bumped into the movers.

"Please...." she begged.

Xana now was running. Rue had to slow down and allow the movers to pass. When they passed, she couldn't see Xana. She rushed outside the door just to see her drive off.

What was she going to do?

Rue didn't know what to do or if where she was going was the right decision. With her luggage in the back seat, she stopped outside the small clinic.

She glanced at the rearview mirror, wiped her teary face, and applied a layer of lip gloss. She sighed and alighted from her car. She hoped she didn't look a mess outside as she felt from the inside.

The clinic seemed disorderly with people seated and moving all over. Was there an outbreak she had no idea about?

She strode towards the reception area. The woman behind the desk raised an eyebrow, giving Rue a once-over. "How can I help you?" she asked.

She was new; Rue had not met her.

"I am here to see Mr... Uh... Dr. Fox," Rue said.

"Do you have an appointment?" she inquired, her tone skeptical.

Rue shook her head. "No, but it's urgent. It's about... personal matters," she replied, hoping the woman would understand the urgency in her voice.

The receptionist glanced up from her paperwork, giving Rue a sympathetic smile. "I'm sorry, dear. Dr. Fox is currently with a patient. Would you like to wait?"

Rue hesitated for a moment, considering her options. She couldn't afford to wait. Every second felt like an eternity with the weight of her troubles pressing down on her shoulders.

The people that had been there for her when she felt hopeless had abandoned her, and she was to blame. She had never felt so utterly hopeless before; it was as if the world was closing in around her with no escape in sight.

She was about to leave then heard Mr. Fox's voice down the hall. Her head automatically swiveled to the source. He was in the company of two sharply dressed men and a uniformed police. They seemed to be enjoying their conversation as they would laugh in between their talks.

"I will give you a call," one of the men said, parting ways with Mr. Fox who stopped at the reception. The police gave her a weird stare and walked away.

Mr. Fox was about to say something to his receptionist then he noticed her presence. His eyes darted around the room and then back to her.

"Come with me," he hissed.

Rue silently followed him to his office.

"What the hell are you doing here?" he asked.

"Xana knows and I don't know where she is,"

"You couldn't keep your mouth shut." He was beyond pissed.

"She.... I.... It is complicated." Rue contemplated telling him what led to Xana discovering her secret. It was best if he learned from Xana.

"Please call her, I just want to know she is okay," Rue begged. Her friend had blocked her number since she ran out of their house.

Mr. Fox gave in and retrieved his phone to make a call. After several rings, Xana answered.

"Where are you, honey?" Mr. Fox asked.

"I am not feeling too good," Xana replied.

"Let's meet up for lunch," Mr. Fox asked her.

"Sure, at the usual place," Xana answered and ended the call.

Rue expected her friend to be angry with her father but realized that Xana still might not have an idea she actually slept with him. Maybe she just assumed that Rue was just obsessed with her father and never acted on it.

As Rue left the clinic, she had made up her mind. She won't defer her first academic year. She would go to school. There was nothing left for her, as she was alone.