Nine

Isaac walked out of the football locker room and he felt lighter. He smiled as he climbed in his car and didn't care that it was probably a wide, giddy smile. He'd smile all he wanted to.

He drove down the road, keeling an eye out for the turn he'd have to make on Ash Street. He didn't remember which house it was and didn't have the address but he could remember the door. The memory of Jess sitting in the passenger seat before and giving him directions was plain as day. 'The house with the horribly painted blue door.'

He found the house easily after turning down the street. The bright blue stuck out in comparison to the other plain doors. He pulled up to the curb and stopped there. Now what?

Did he go up and knock? Or should he wait here for Jess? Did he text him? He only had him on Instagram but that could work.

He sat indecisive for a moment before the door opening caught his attention. Jess looked pissed and was saying something, probably decently loudly but Zack couldn't hear what. He slammed the door behind him and walked up to the car. When he got in he shut the door and hunkered down in the seat, grabbing his hair in his hands and taking deep breaths.

Zack sat frozen in the driver's seat, unsure what to do. Did he say something? He couldn't hug him, not in a car while he was all hunkered down like that. What could he do? Just as he opened his mouth Jess's voice stopped him.

"Don't." The boy sounded like he might start hyperventilating. "Just- please don't ask."

Isaac still didn't know what to do but he didn't ask. He wasn't even sure if it was are you okay or what happened that he was going to ask but he made sure to keep both questions shut down now. It was none of his business and Jess clearly didn't want to talk about it.

His breathing was labored but it was obvious the boy was trying hard to control it. Shit, what did he do? He felt helpless, he needed to do something.

His hand went down and he touched the back of Jess's neck. He wasn't sure why but that's just what happened. He wanted to let Jess know that he was there. "Can you breath okay? Do you need water?"

Jess slowly uncurled himself, Isaac's hand still softly on his neck. He looked at the boy who looked concerned.

That was it? No questions about it?

Isaac's heart dropped at Jess's face. It was red in places and his eyes were filled with unspilled tears. He reached over and with his other hand opened up the glove compartment. He had a couple napkins in there and he pulled one out.

He then looked into the backseat and his hand that wasn't holding the napkin moved to reach for something. Jess's neck immediately missed it and the extra warmth it brought to his skin. Zack grabbed the water bottle from the back and unscrewed the lid.

He put the top of the bottle against the napkin and turned it upside down, keeping the water to just the napkin and not letting it spill. He then screwed the lid back on and set the bottle in the cup holder. Having a damp napkin, he held it up to Jess. "Do you mind if I..?"

He trailed off but Jess nodded in a slightly stiff way. He was more focused on the fact that Isaac was helping him than on what exactly he was doing. He had expected questions, overstepping boundaries, and the boy either being weirded out or a nervous wreck. However, he seemed oddly calm as he focused on Jess.

Zack's hand went back to cup the back of Jess's neck, lighting the skin with warmth again, and his other hand held the napkin. He dabbed and rubbed under Jess's eyes with the cool material. Then he dabbed some on his forehead and cheeks as well. After it all Jess's face felt cooled down, better than being set ablaze and hot like it had been before.