2: The Dinner

THIRD PERSON'S POV
NEW YORK CITY,  USA.
12TH JANUARY, 2008.

The white Jeep pulled over as they arrived at their destination. Dismounting from the vehicle, they were met with a mansion which was almost the same size as theirs. This particular mansion had lighter shades of colors while theirs was more of brown, beige and cream. Each corner of the wall was beautifully carved, and the designs were made with complete care. With the combination of sky blue and spotless white paint, it was looking like a palace from the fairyland. Greeneries around the mansion was adding more beauty to it.

"It's so beautiful!" Zainab squealed grinning widely.

"Too bright." Zara disagreed.

"Too much colourful flowers." Aaron seconded with a bored expression.

"What's your deal with colours?" Zainab rolled her eyes at her sibling's hatred for colorful colors. She's a girly girl that loves everything bright especially when white and pink are present.

"Because not everything is as bright as it seems. Mom, Dad, shall we?" Aaron entwined his hands with Zainab's knowing fully well she wouldn't want to be alone as they step in. He knew she wasn't a fan of crowds, but with him by her side, she feels safer.

"The second lesson is, 'You'll be scared to do things, but do them anyways. Courage isn't the same as not feeling fear.' " Ibrahim vocalised the second lesson for the kids before they entered the premises.

He didn't even let them ask any questions before he started ambling towards the main entrance. He wanted them to digest what he had said and for the understanding to sink in deep.

"What are we doing here again?" Zara questioned, licking the lollipop that was formally inside the pocket of her hoodie. Ibrahim sighed then responded. "We are here for a family dinner."

Maryam cleared her throat before shaking her head negatively. "You mean business dinner." She corrected curtly. Her face held no trance of emotions at all. She would do anything to see herself depart from this mansion as soon as possible. The only reason she's here is because Ibrahim asked her to be here, also because of the kids.

Ibrahim sighed for the umpteenth time since they arrived. His wife's smile vanished the moment the moment they step foot in this house. He knew she doesn't feel comfortable in the mansion but he begged her to be there. Not because of anything, but for peace to reign. "Maryam, I urge you to be on your best behaviour today. I know you don't want to be here but—"

"—-then you shouldn't have brought me here!" She lost it and snapped at him.

His expression dampened slowly turning into one that resembled hers. "Look—" before he could complete his sentence, the door was slid open by the head female butler of the mansion.

The corner of the blonde lady's lips stretched into a smile. "You're welcome to Mahmud Amir's residence.....Oh my God! M-Maryam!" Her lips quivered slightly taking a step back. Never in her wildest imagination would she have imagined that Maryam would ever step foot in this mansion.

Maryam entwined her hands with her husband's, grinning fiercely. "Oh hey Haiely! It's been ages, how have you been?" She forced another smile on her lips.

Shock and astonishement never wavering from Hailey's face, she managed to regain her sanity back. "I've been good. You're all welcome." The moment they all stepped into the house, Haiely disappeared and sent another butler to take care of the guests. She still hasn't recovered from the shock.

A young guy dressed in a white long sleeved shirt and black trousers came forth. "Good day, kindly follow me to the other living room." Was all he said as they followed suit. The kids gawked at how fancy and modernised the place was.