CHAPTER ONE

Monday 6th June 2022

I heave my suitcase out of the car, dropping it onto the patio and sigh. Finally the last case. I didn't pack that much of course as I wanted to leave as soon as I could. I have a good amount of savings I had put aside for the wedding and honeymoon to spend if I need anything else. I've spent the last week in a Premier Inn, trying to find somewhere to rent and thankfully, I found a flat just on the outskirts of York. Don't get me wrong, I love the Northumberland countryside, but when I came here for University, I loved it. It felt like home.

I grab my phone out the back pocket of my jean shorts and look at it. Another text from Eddie. I roll my eyes and put it back in my pocket, slamming the boot of my car closed.

"Hey. Want a hand?" I hear.

I look over to my right and see a pastel-pink haired girl smiling at me brightly like a fairytale pixie.

"Moving in or moving out?" She asks, approaching me softly.

"In." I nod. "Flat 83." I reply with a smile.

"Oh cool. I live in flat 79 just round the corner from you." She continues to grin. She comes off as someone who is very positive to me.

I like that.

"That's handy." I nod, not really sure on what else to say. "I'm Callie."

"Nice to meet you Callie, I'm Kiera." She grins, holding her hand out for me to shake. "I'm just on my way back from work so I'm going up that way anyway." She continues to smile, pulling up the slide of case and gripping it softly with her hand. "Anything specific you'd like me to carry?"

"That case is great, thank you." I reply, smiling at her cheery attitude. I hope she'll be my friend, I need someone like her in my life I think. "Can you manage this bag for life too?"

"Course." She nods, holding it in her hand.

I grab my second case and drag it towards the main door, abandoning it for half a minute with Kiera, before going back and getting two boxes.

"What do you do for work?" I ask, making conversation as we the lift carries us up to the seventh floor.

"Nothing exciting." She chuckles. "I'm a manager at a call centre."

"Oh." I reply, nodding along softly.

"What about you?"

"Well up until last week, I was doing marketing for a few companies." I respond.

"Oh, what happened?" Kiera asks, frowning slightly as the lift doors begin to open.

"I quit." I answer, expecting a look of judgement from her like I had received from nearly everyone else.

Instead, she gives me a supportive small side smile. "Heavens. Do you have a job lined up?"

"I have a few interviews." I nod, dragging my case out into the hall and then the boxes.

Kiera helps me get through the hallway towards my new flat. We walk past hers, which she refers to and tells me if I need anything, to stop by. I carry the last box to my door, hearing the lift doors open behind me but I don't refer to it. I place the box on the floor, and look up to my left. I notice a curly-haired brunette male following me, clutching a small duffle bag. He stops and turns to his flat door. 84. Next door to me.