CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

"So, how was last weekend?" Kiera asked as she lowers her glass to the table.

It's Saturday now, seven days since the family reunion. I've been working this week and with the recent going-ons with my projects, I had only see Artie a handful of times. He had time to kill though and always made sure I had a clean flat and warm meal to come home to.

"It was difficult but we got through it." I nod, sipping my drink. "If we can get through that, we can get through anything."

Kiera chuckles and looks over at Artie who's walking towards us with a glass in each hand, and a packet of pork scratchings between his teeth.

"Thanks for letting Artie come along." I smile. I wouldn't have minded if he didn't of course, but it was Kiera who actually invited him.

"No worries. I'm slightly desperate to figure him out and see what's going on that makes him act like he does." She chuckles.

I laugh, understanding what she means. Artie hands me one glass, and sits down, placing his on the wood of the table and then the packet. I lean into him as the breeze hits, surprising me.

"Awh, look at you two." Kiera smiles. "And here I was thinking Artie was just a giant arse." She admits.

"I'm not. I just behaved like one." He defends himself, but still keeping the conversation light. "The guy I am has always been there, I just made myself tough and mean because I didn't know how to be kind. I'm sorry Kiera." He gives her a soft, tight-lipped smile.

"It's okay. I wasn't that affected by it to be fair." She responds, sipping her gin and lemonade. "How's the job hunt?"

Artie smiles and places his hand in mine. "Good. My brother has found me work at his place, and I've also received an offer to teach young kids how to box."

"Oh wow!" I respond with excitement. "Why didn't you say anything?"

He shrugs. "Was waiting for the right moment, plus I only found out today. I just need to get DBS checked which I hope should come back clear."

Kiera's brows crinkle. "What's that?"

"It's basically just something I need to do and send to the employer that shows my criminal record. I have to get one if I want to work with kids." He explains.

Kiera nods with realisation. "I didn't think someone like you would like kids. I'd imagine you'd want to stay well away from them." She chuckles.

After seeing him with Freddie at the weekend, I'd beg to differ.

"I like kids." He nods. "I want some of my own one day."

I smile up at him and then look across the table to see Kiera pulling a suggestive face at me, making me blush.

"Don't tell Lady and Lord Winters, they'll shit their pantaloons." She laughs, which causes Artie to nod his head in agreement.

The laughter dies down, and it's clear the conversation is over. "So, how's work been?" I ask, looking over at Kiera.

"Shocking." She sighs and then quickly finishes her drink. "Before I start talking about that, I need another fucking drink."

Artie had offered to buy her one but she had a full glass at the time and wasn't bothered. She walks away, heading towards the bar and I look over at Artie.

"Kids, huh?"

"Yeah, as long as that's cool with you?" His eyebrow adorably raised. 

I nod. "Of course it is." I say, making him smile.