1. The World is Brighter Than the Sun, Now That You're Here

Year: 115 AC

Year: 115 AC

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"Come on, Aemond! We mustn't keep Grandsire waiting! Tonight's story is going to be the most exciting!"

Five-year-old Daenys Velaryon sprinted through the bustling corridors of the Red Keep, her pale hair streaming behind her. Once or twice, she stumbled, tripping over the hem of her nightgown but her hand was clasped firmly in that of her dearest friend, Aemond Targaryen, and he was there to steady her every time. Her other hand clutched a large leather-bound book to her chest, arms almost trembling with the effort as she led the way to her grandfather's chambers for their nightly routine.

Prince Aemond, also a child of five, but with a more reserved demeanour, trailed behind his spirited niece, his steps hesitant.

"Slow down," he scolded, tugging at her hand. "If you trip again, I'll just let you fall this time."

Daenys turned around and stuck out her tongue at him playfully, "You would not!"

"I would!"

"Okay, okay, I'll slow down, but I'm blaming you if Grandsire gets upset that we're late."

"It's not like Father ever gets upset with you anyways," Aemond rolled his eyes, a hint of wistfulness in his voice.

As they approached a grand set of ornate double doors, Daenys slowed her pace, casting a quick glance back at Aemond. Sensing his apprehension, she paused, concern filling her bright eyes, watching him carefully as he fidgeted nervously.

"You...you don't have to come if you really don't want to," she mumbled.

"No. It's just. I think I should go see Mother. I promised her I would."

"You don't wanna hear the story?"

"Maybe I'll come another time. Mother's been so busy with Daeron and she's so tired. I don't wanna make her sad by not going."

Daenys' shoulders drooped, disappointment etched across her delicate features. Her small hand slipped out of Aemond's grasp.

"But, I wanted to hear the story with you."

Aemond laughed, reaching out to pinch her cheeks and she scowled as swatted his hand away.

"I told you not to do that!" she pouted.

"Well, I'm older than you so I can do whatever I want!"

"No, you can't! You're only..." she held up her fingers trying to count, "some moons older."

"You don't even know how many," he teased.

"Well, do you?"

"Yeah, but I'm not telling!"