3. The Way That We Love (Like It's Forever)

Year: 117 AC

Year: 117 AC

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"Can we make the kites in different shapes, Ser Harwin? I want mine to look like a dragon!" Jace's excited voice carried in the wind.

"And I want mine to be as colourful as the rainbow!" Luke bounced on his feet as his eyes followed Ser Harwin around the garden.

Daenys rolled her eyes, "You're certainly confident, considering you've never done this before."

Luke stuck out his tongue, "Neither have you, you-"

Daenys put her hands on her hips and raised an eyebrow, "I dare you to finish that sentence, I'm telling Father."

"Father won't care."

"Fine, I'll tell Mother. Then you'll really be in for it!"

"Wait-"

Ser Harwin chuckled and interrupted the squabble, "Your ideas are indeed very creative, my princes. But perhaps we might start with something a little simpler for your first time."

He ushered them all down to the grassy ground, gathered around the pile of colourful paper, ribbons, and sticks he had asked to be prepared. He watched with delight as the three children fought to sit closest to him, until eventually Daenys scrunched up her face with a huff of annoyance and settled herself across from him, allowing Jace and Luke to flank his sides. Ser Harwin handed each of them several sticks and began demonstrating how to lay them on top of each other and secure the frame with string. His aim was to distract the children from the chaos that was currently unfolding within the castle, and although he desperately wished to be by his princess's side during the birth of their fourth child, he knew it was best for him to keep his distance until he was summoned. Here, outside amongst the gentle rustling of the leaves, they couldn't hear the pained screams that echoed within the Red Keep, but he could tell from the faint pinch in Daenys's eyebrows as she looked over her shoulder toward the castle entrance every now and then, that her mind still lingered there. 

"Look, I made a sword!" Luke raised his creation, two sticks tied across each other in the shape of a cross. 

"It looks very impressive," Ser Harwin commended.

"Daenys look! Look at my sword!"

Daenys still had her head bent over her own pile of sticks that she was trying to wrestle into a kite frame, "Not now Luke, I'm busy."

"But, don't you want to see my sword?"

"Not really, not right now. I'll see it later when you've made your kite."

Luke then reached over and whacked the top of Daenys's head with his contraption, making her head snap up in indignation. 

"Lucerys..."