2. Lighthouse of My Heart

Year: 117 AC

Year: 117 AC

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"Daenys! Did you see that?" 

Daenys squinted up to where her fellow playmate, pointed. Daenys and Helaena sat at the base of one of the largest trees in the Red Keep's garden, where Helaena taught Daenys how to weave flower crowns and name the various insects they found crawling amongst the petals. The two princesses had quickly become inseparable friends, and it was easy to see why. They enjoyed the peaceful time they spent together away from their raucous brothers, each of them finding a much-needed sister in the other. Daenys looked up to Helaena as someone she aspired to emulate, a paragon of elegance and poise, eagerly absorbing every lesson she bestowed upon her. Helaena in turn, cherished Daenys and her mischievous antics, feeling a sense of responsibility for the younger girl.

"I can't see anything," Daenys squinted even harder, but all she saw was rough bark and brilliant emerald leaves. 

Helaena huffed as she grabbed Daenys's head gently, angling her face correctly before pointing again.

"Look, over there, where that branch meets the trunk. Do you see that beetle?"

Daenys made a face, "It's huge."

"I know, isn't it lovely? Oh, it would look ever so pretty in my collection, and if I could see it up close, I could look up its name."

Helaena looked at Daenys with a pleading look and Daenys smiled. 

"Do you want me to catch it for you?"

Her young friend nodded at her exuberantly, fisting the folds of her pale pink gown, "Oh would you? Mother would be furious if I spoilt this dress, and besides, I'm not a very good climber."

"But...it's so big."

"I promise it won't hurt you. It's just a little bug, and it's so pretty. See how its colours shine in the sunlight?

"It has so many legs, it looks weird."

"Six. Insects like that should have only six legs."

Daenys gazed at her aunt in admiration. Although Helaena was only two years her senior, she seemed to know so much more. 

"Whoa, how do you know all that? You can't even see the legs from down here."

"I read it in a book I found. It's got all sorts of information on these little creatures," Helaena grinned at her, nudging her toward the tree. "Now will you get it for me please?"

Daenys sighed in agreement and stood, dumping her crooked flower crown in Helaena's lap before turning around and placing her palms on the tree trunk and feeling the textured bark under her fingertips. She then placed her foot against it, searching for a stable foothold amidst the crevices and knots. The tree felt sturdy beneath her, its ancient branches reaching toward the heavens. The roughness of the bark scraped against her palms, leaving faint marks behind, but it was nothing she hadn't dealt with before. With practiced ease, she pulled herself higher, branch after branch.