5. Some Tender Charm

Year: 117 AC

Year: 117 AC

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Aemond continued to pat Daenys's back, albeit somewhat awkwardly as she continued to wail. The young prince had always been the more level-headed of the two friends, while Daenys could be quite spirited, a whirlwind of expression and emotion. She wore her heart on her sleeve and often he found himself being the one to reign in her energetic persona. 

"Are you done crying?" he raised an eyebrow, his voice carrying a mischievous tone. "Your face is all blotchy and red. You look quite frightful."

Daenys paused mid-wail, sniffling as she looked up at him, her teary eyes filled with confusion. The momentary respite from her sobbing allowed her to catch a glimpse of Aemond's teasing smile.

"Are...are you calling me ugly?"

Aemond shrugged, and pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket, sticking it out for her to take, "Perhaps..."

Daenys smacked his shoulder, "That's not how you're supposed to comfort a friend!"

"Well, it seems to be working, doesn't it? Look, you're not crying anymore."

"Well that's because-"

"That's because I am a wonderful friend!" he interrupted undeterred.

Daenys crossed her arms and huffed, maintaining her sulky demeanour, "I suppose you have a point."

"Of course I do. I'm always right," he nudged her hand that was clutching his handkerchief and guided it toward her face where she scrubbed off the remnants of her tears. "See, you don't look nearly as terrible when you're not crying."

"Hey!"

"Now, do you want to tell me properly what it is that made you upset?"

The young princess's eyes darkened again. 

"Daenys..." Aemond prompted.

"Mother plans to betroth me!"

"What? To whom?"

"I don't think she has decided yet," Daenys's voice was small.

Aemond's brows furrowed, and a strange sensation prickled in his chest—a twinge of something he couldn't quite name. He leaned closer intently, eager to understand what troubled his dearest friend.

"You...you mentioned Aegon earlier. Are you going to be married to him?"

Daenys was quiet for a moment before shaking her head vehemently, her eyes blazing, "I won't do it! They can try, but they can't make me!"

"If you are betrothed to someone else, you'll have to leave King's landing though, wouldn't you?"

"But I don't want to leave King's Landing! I don't want to marry anyone! I want to stay here, with you, and Helaena, and my brothers!"