ch 34 - jo

We spent the day hanging around the venue, and when it was time for their soundcheck, Alex and I found seats in the crowd to listen. They soundchecked Me & My Dog, Bite The Hand, and Ketchum, ID for us. Then they started to play the tune of a song that Alex and I had never heard.

    "What is that song?" Alex turned to me and asked.

    "I have no idea," I admitted.

    "You mean to tell me your girlfriend has told you nothing about them writing new music?" they asked as they looked at me skeptically.

    "I mean she told me they've been writing new music, but she hasn't played me anything. I mean, when inspiration is there you have to take it I guess."

    "And when your inspiration is sitting right in front of you, you play the song," Alex replied with a laugh making me blush.

    They never sang any words, but the song sounded absolutely beautiful.

    "We all have lyrics we want for this song, but we can't decide what direction we should take it in," Phoebe explained into her microphone.

    They finished their soundcheck, and all five of us went back into their dressing room. Alex and I had decided we would watch the show from the side of the stage so we didn't draw attention to ourselves, but that ended up not being the case.

    As the show went on, Phoebe, Lucy, and especially Julien kept looking over at us and making faces periodically, causing fans to eventually pick up on it. After the show, I was scrolling through twitter and it was all anyone could talk about. They had noticed that they kept looking over to the same side of the stage, and they were all talking about how cute it was that every time Julien looked over, when she looked back to the crowd she had the biggest smile on her face. I took multiple pictures of her from the side of the stage, and I made one of them my lock screen. I posted one of them on my instagram story without thinking, and I slid my phone back into my pocket.

    "I can't believe these are our friends," Alex said to me proudly.

    "I can't either," I replied with a smile.

    The show ended and we rushed to the hotel. We all talked for a little bit before we decided to get some sleep before our day of playing tourist in New York.

    I woke up the next morning with Julien's arm draped over me, and had that bittersweet feeling again. I knew it was Alex and I's last day in New York, and I wasn't ready to have to leave Julien again. I knew Alex and I had to go back because we had a bar to run, but with every passing minute that I got to lay next to Julien it got harder to grasp that I was the one leaving this time. Everyone else started to slowly wake up, and finally Julien did as well. She pulled me in closer to her and kissed the top of my head. Everyone eventually got up and we all got ready for the day. Alex and I had gone out and gotten everyone matching "I ❤️ NY" shirts when we were picking up food yesterday, and we surprised everyone with them today. Once we were all dressed–and we had taken a million selfies in our matching shirts–we left the hotel in hopes of doing some sightseeing.

    We walked around Times Square and Central Park, and I made everyone get in an Uber so I could get my picture taken with the Cornelia Street sign. We had the most fun I had ever had in one day, and it was all documented in the hundreds of pictures we had all taken of each other. No one stopped us as we were walking around, which I knew they were thankful for. I took a picture of the three of them in their matching shirts, each holding a giant piece of pizza that we had gotten for a dollar, and they posted it on the boygenius instagram story saying that tonight was the last night to see them in New York.