Chapter 11

"Hello."

"Hi."

"Please come in."

"Thank you."

"I'll be outside in case you need anything" David says, closing the door behind Declan.

"Do you want to sit?" I ask.

"Yeah, sure."

"So..." I say, nervously playing with my hands.

"You look beautiful."

"Really?"

"Yeah" Declan smiles.

"Roberta and I spent the whole morning doing our hair and make up for today and trying all the clothes we have, but then I ended up undoing it all and wearing an old Zara dress" I chuckle. "I didn't feel like myself."

"You always look beautiful to me. But if I have to choose, this version of you is my favourite one."

"Not the fancy one like on my birthday?" I ask with a teasing smile.

"That's second" he winks.

After that, the awkward silence is back. Why? Why are we behaving like this? We've been together before. First alone and then with Roberta and Mason. We text all the time. Facetime when we are free. Why does today feel so different? Why are we so... Shy?

"Ok, I've had enough" I say, getting up from the sofa.

"What?"

"For whatever the reason, we both are behaving like two teenagers on their first date, so we need to do something to help us break the ice."

"Something like what?"

"Fancy a beer?" I ask with a cheeky smile.

"I... I actually haven't had one yet" he says, scratching the back of his head.

"Declan!" I say, sitting down again.

"I know, I know" he chuckles. "But we didn't win the Euros, so."

"Well, you just made it to the World Cup semi finals. That deserves a celebration."

"With beer?"

"That's what Germans use" I shrug. "Besides, you are half Irish. It seems fitting."

"Ok" he says, giving me a smile that makes my heart skip a bit. Or two.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Eleanor this... This is a lot of beer" Declan laughs.

"But we aren't going to drink it all, you silly. It is a beer tasting."

"A beer tasting?"

"Yep. We need to find out which beer is your favourite."

"The Princess corrupting the football player and not the other way around?" he says with a teasing smile.

"Oh, shut up" I laugh, hitting him on the arm. "Ready?"

"Ladies first."

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"I think the last one is my favourite."

"Because it also is mine?" I ask, arching a brow. Or trying to. I think I am a bit tipsy.

"Maybe" Declan says, his cheeks starting to look a bright shade of pink, the beer starting to affect him too.

"Shit, sorry" I laugh after not being able to contain a burp.