The sins of a brother

JASON

I pause outside Xavier's room, the sound of laughter, and the frantic clicking of video game controls drifting into the hallway. There's a warmth in the room, a connection that they share, a bond born out of shared memories, and mutual understanding.

I lean against the door frame. I am their brother, yet I am not. I am a reminder of our father's mistakes, the product of an affair that shattered our family. My mother, a woman I never got the chance to meet, is just a photograph in a hidden album and a hushed conversation when they think I'm not listening.

Taking a deep breath, I decide to bridge the gap, to try and fit into their world. "Hey," I call out, pushing away from the door frame. "Mind if I join in?"

Zoe and Xavier turn to look at me, their laughter dying down. There's an awkward silence that hangs in the air like a heavy cloud. It feels like an eternity before Xavier finally speaks up, his voice strained. "Sure. Come on in."

I step into the room, trying to ignore the sudden shift in the atmosphere. I sit down on the edge of Xavier's bed, feeling a bit out of place. Zoe shoots me a sympathetic smile, but it only serves to highlight my discomfort.

"So, what game are you guys playing?" I ask, attempting to break the tension.

Xavier shrugs, his eyes still fixed on the screen. "Just some multiplayer shooter. It's pretty intense."

"Yeah, I can see that," I reply, trying to muster some enthusiasm. "Mind if I give it a try?"

Zoe scoots over a bit, making room for me. "Sure, take my controller. It's not as easy as it looks, though."

I take the controller, my palms suddenly sweaty. As I fumble with the buttons, my character on the screen becomes an easy target for Xavier's skilled maneuvers. The room falls quiet, the only sound of the rapid gunfire and explosions from the game.

"Wow, you're really good at this," I comment, trying to sound nonchalant.

Xavier chuckles. "Yeah, I've been playing for a while now."

Zoe chimes in, her voice tinged with sympathy. "Don't worry. You'll get the hang of it eventually."

I manage a weak smile, feeling like an outsider trying to break into a secret club. The conversation lapses into an uncomfortable silence again, broken only by the sounds of the game. I can't shake the feeling that I'm intruding on something, that I'm an unwanted presence in their shared world.

After a few more minutes of feeble attempts to play, I give up and hand the controller back to Zoe. "Thanks, but I think I'll just watch for now."

Zoe nods, her expression a mix of understanding and regret. "Sure, take your time. We can play something else later if you want."

I manage a weak smile, my hands trembling slightly. The weight of the silence feels suffocating, and I can't shake off the nagging feeling that I don't belong. It's as if the room has become smaller, and each passing second amplifies the discomfort. My heart races, and I can feel the anxiety building up inside me.

Unable to bear it any longer, I mumble, "I... I need to go. Sorry."

Zoe shoots me a concerned glance, but before she can say anything, I'm already on my feet, stumbling towards the door. The room blurs around me as I rush down the hallway, my footsteps echoing in my ears. It's as if my body is on autopilot, desperate to find solace in the confines of my own room.

Finally, I reach the safety of my own space, shutting the door behind me with a trembling hand. I collapse onto my bed, my chest heaving, feeling like I can finally breathe again. The weight of my insecurities and the lingering sense of not belonging are overwhelming.

The things Jenna told me about Sofia were exaggerated.

I see that now.

I did horrible things mostly out of a place of hurt and anger. I don't know why I let Jenna into my head like this, but she just has a way of making you feel so important, and I guess I craved that for a long time.

As soon as I walk through my door, there is Jenna waiting for me.

"Where were you?" She asks angrily.

"I went to see Xavier."

"I don't remember giving you permission for that." She said, stepping closer to me.

"He's my brother. I don't need permission." I say to her, and I think it's the first time I've ever spoken to her this way.

"We have a plan, Jason. I can't have you fucking it up." She growls.

"I want out then," I say, shoving my hands into my pockets.

I've been in a dark place lately. It's so bad that I wake up every day wishing I hadn't. Sometimes I'm driving, and I get the thought of me sliding off the road and dying in a car explosion.

But today, I met Sofia and Saint. I knew that then and there that Jenna might still try to hurt them if she doesn't get her way.

"Excuse me?" She says stunned.

"I don't want to do it anymore, Jenna. Sofia isn't a bad person like you said, and their baby -"

"My baby!" She shouts.

"No, Jenna.... their baby. Sofia and Xavier."

"No. You're going through with our plan because if I go down, you're going with me." She says in a warning tone. "How do you think your brother will react to all the things you've done to him. He'll probably kill you before you can get arrested."

"Then let him. I'll even tell him myself, but I can't help you."

Jenna slaps me hard across the face. "I always knew you were weak and pathetic. Do you really think Xavier gives a shit about you?" She asks angrily. "You're even dumber than I thought."

Her words cut deep.

"I'm sorry, Jenna, but I'm going to come clean to my brother. I suggest you look for somewhere else to sleep tonight."

She scoffs in disgust. "You're either with me or against me, Jason."

I pause for a moment and sigh.

"Then I guess I'm against you."