Chapter 4

Lincoln

It's weird how not weird it is having Steph as my fiancé. I thought I would find it more of a stretch, we've been friends for years, and I still remember the day I first saw her across the quad. I was walking with a few of my mates after we finished early morning soccer practice. Little did I know that the vision before me would become one of my best friends and supersede many of my existing friendships.

"Holy hell! Check her out, man," Jeff muttered, pointing to a gorgeous girl about twenty metres from me.

"Wowsers!" She had this beautiful caramel brown hair that flowed down her jean clad body in waves all the way to her waist. Damn! Long hair was sexy. The navy long sleeve vee neck top hugged her curves perfectly, and those jeans were like a second skin. Even though I could barely see any exposed skin, my body responded as if she was naked. Damn! I was a bit befuddled but in a good way.

"Take a damn picture! It will last longer!" she yelled, and I gaped. The guys were all snickering, and I smacked them to shut them up. Their guffaws followed me as I stormed off. Bunch of arseholes, but I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing to them if they got caught drooling over some girl. I needed a coffee if I was going to function properly in my lectures. I ordered my usual black coffee with a dash of milk and rushed out of the door.

Someone must have been looking down on me from heaven because I ran straight into quad girl. Straight into her literally. Coffee all over the darn place. I apologised profusely and got her a new one. Thanking me, she rushed off to make her class. Check my watch, and I realised I had to hustle if I was going to make mine on time.

I headed to my first class of the day and imagine my luck when the beauty from the quad was sitting a few rows from the front. How had I not noticed her before? Oh yeah... I don't pay much attention in class. I knew the subject material back to front, having been groomed from a young age to take over the family business. So I listened with half an ear, the majority of the time. I decided my best chance was a straight-up apology, so I took the seat next to her.
"Excuse me, miss."

She turned to face me, and I was stuck dumb by the sparkling blue orbs that shone at me. "Oh... It's you. Again." Her face distorted with confusion, and I felt rather sheepish.

"Yeah, uh... I just wanted to apologise for earlier if I offended you. I didn't mean to ogle, but your beauty caught me off guard."

"Oh please... You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen blah blah blah. No, I am not sleeping with you. Seriously."

"Whoa, slow down there. I would at least like dinner first before we get to that part." She just rolls her eyes at me, and I chuckle, finding her spark amusing. "I'm Lincoln."

Rolling her eyes, she responds, "Stephanie."

"Nice to meet you."

"I would say likewise, but that would only encourage you further."

"Ha-ha, I like you. Straight shooter, no holds barred."

"Yep. Have I lost my appeal yet?"

"Nope, only increased my interest, actually."

"Seriously find another pair of legs to climb, I'm not looking to hook up or date anyone. I'm actually here to learn, and I'd like to pay attention to class. Thank you very much."

"Fair enough. So? Friends then?" I smile my most charming smile and hold out my hand to shake hers.

"Fine. Friends. No benefits!" She takes me hand and shakes firmly.

"Ha-ha. Sure thing, sweetness."

"Urgh, don't call me that. Steph is fine."

"Then you can call me Linc. I think this will be fun, don't you?" I wink at her, and she rolls her eyes and looks back towards the front. The smallest quirk of her lips shows me that all hope is not lost.