Chapter 12

Lincoln

I know it’s petty, but I avoid Steph like the plague. I can’t face the rejection. It’s not the first time that I’ve felt rejected by her, and I don’t like feeling this vulnerability. She has the power to break me, really break me. Instead of going home to her, I hang out with my buddy Jason. We go out, get drunk, and I crash at his place. It’s a nice relief from the pressure I’m feeling at work and now the uncertainty at home.

I’m aware I’m acting like a petulant boy, but I’m finding it hard to care. I make myself feel better by telling myself that she ran first. As the days go by, I get more irritated. So much so that at work, everyone steers clear of me, even Wendy, which is saying something.

The only thing that could make matters worse is that today, I find my mother waiting for me in my office. What the fuck is she doing here?

“Ah, there you are son.”

“Here I am, where I work. Now, why are you here?”

“Is that any way to speak to your mother!?!”

“I don’t know mother, is it?” I say with heavy sarcasm.

“Word has got back to me about your unruly behaviour.”

“I wonder how that happened?” I glare at Wendy through my open door and she looks away quickly. “Just tell me why you are here. I have work to do.”

“Trouble in paradise son?”

“Stop calling me that. It annoys me.”
She laughs in that high pitch, grating way she has.

“I know, but I don’t care. Now, since you and Samantha aren’t working out, I was thinking we could meet up with the Webber’s or the-“

“Stephanie mother, which you well know. And the answer to that is a resounding no. I am with Stephanie, I care about her. I don’t want anybody else.”

“She’s no good for you, son. She doesn’t belong in our society. Do you honestly expect me to love any grandchild she bears? With her lower class genes, it is cheapening our proud blood line?”

“For fuck sake mother! Do you hear yourself! What your saying is abhorrent. You’re nothing but an outdated bigot, and you have no place dictating who I marry.”

“Your chance at running this company is dependent on who you marry, son, so it IS my business.”

“I’m sorry, mum...when did you start working here again? Oh that’s right...you’ve never worked a day in your damn life. Now I’m asking you to politely fuck off.”

“LINCOLN JAMES TOWNSEND! I can’t believe your ill manners. It’s that lower rate whore you spend all your time with that is the cause of this!”

“Actually mother, Stephanie never cusses. Never. So no, it’s not because of her. It’s because I’ve had enough of your meddling bullshit! I don’t want your life. Can you honestly tell me you and dad are happy? How many affairs are you both up to now?” she looks at me in abject horror. “Oh please. I’ve known conclusively since I was fifteen, neither one of you were very discreet. I won’t be like you two, I will marry who I want, who makes me happy. Steph makes me happy mother. I love her!”

“Oh please! You don’t know what love is!”

“I definitely didn’t learn it from you, but yes I do. All I want is Stephanie. All I’ll ever want is Stephanie.” My eyes widen as the realisation hits me. What the fuck am I doing! I love her. I have to fight for what I want. “Actually, I have somewhere I need to be.”

“Lincoln!”

“Get out mother. I’m busy.” She turns around with a huff and I follow soon after her departure. "Clear the rest of my day, Wendy.”