Chapter 11

Stephanie

What the heck is happening? What did he mean by telling me he loved me? It sounded different than usual, his eyes more adamant somehow. So me being the insecure being I’ve now become, told him he is a great friend. Which is true, but I don’t know what he meant. Did he mean it as romantic love or just the usual comment we say to one another, or finally, was it just post sex bliss?

I could have put myself out there and asked him, but what if he laughed at my questioning? Would he then turn it around on me and ask me why I wondered if he meant real love, not friend love. What would my answer be to him then? Because frankly, I have no idea.

Do I love being around him? Yes. Do I love having sex with him? Heck yes! Do I enjoy the comfort and companionship he offers me on a daily basis? Yes, yes, yes. But do I love him? Like, love-love him? I have no freaking clue. And therein lies the problem. So until I could untangle the mess in my brain, I would just ignore it. Play it off as our usual love you’s.

Yep. Solid plan. I pretended to be asleep when he finally returned to bed. He was gone awhile longer than his usual clean-up routine. I heard him sigh when he discovered I was ‘sleeping’ but I kept my breathing even and measured.

I awoke early feeling restless and agitated. I kept having weird dreams that switched from topic to topic, leaving me bewildered and antsy. I took some time to stare at Lincoln’s relaxed face. He was so beautiful when he slept, not that he isn’t always, but he seemed more serene somehow.

His long, thick eyelashes fanned across his cheekbones, every now and then fluttering as if stuck in a dream. I itched to touch his plump lips, and they looked so soft and kissable. The perfect mix of pink that I just wanted to lick, to taste, to caress. I held back, though, in fear of waking him and then catching me ogling him like a creeper. Sighing softly, I climbed out of his bed and made my way back to my own room.

I took a quick shower and dressed for the day. Today, I chose a black fitted dress with a peplum design at the hips. I loved the ruffles. It made me feel feminine and fun without deviating from smart business attire. I paired it with a ruby red skinny belt around my waist and red pumps. I headed into the kitchen to make breakfast, hearing the clang of shifting weights from the gym room. Linc was working out.

Maybe I could take a little peak? Stuff it. I wander toward the noise and find the door closed. As quietly as I can, I open it a smidge and look through, and what I see damn near steals my breath away. His body is freaking perfect, slicked with sweat, and all the muscles in his back are swollen.

Mmm... Holy guacamole! I stand transfixed for a moment before shaking myself out of my stupor. Closing the door as quietly as I opened it, I hurried back into the kitchen and prepared breakfast. I need to get out of here before I stop his workout and make him do a completely different type of workout. Mmm... muscles.

I plate up for Linc and scarf down my food before leaving him a note and hurrying my butt out of there. I grab a coffee on my way into the office, and it’s almost gone by the time I reach the lobby. Joe looks confused to see me in so early.

“Miss Lanning. Is it that time already?” Joe checked his watch and frowns.

“No. I’m early. I felt extra inspired this morning.” Yeah, I was inspired to run away.

“You work too much!”

“Nonsense! Here’s your coffee.”

“As always, you’re too good to me.”

“No such thing, Joe! No. Such. Thing!”
He grins at me and calls the elevator for me. I wave as the doors close and let out a sigh. What is happening to me?