i

This day was supposed to be one of the best days in Alejandra Moretti's and Carlos Sainz' life. The latter was currently on one knee before the woman he deemed the love of his life, the woman he wanted to wake up next to forever. He didn't think he had ever been this nervous in his life, more butterflies swirling around in his stomach than before the start of a race as he gazed up at his Alejandra who's face was painted with shock, his grandmother's engagement ring held towards her.

"So Ally, what do you say?" His voice slightly shaking with anticipation.

Alejandra blinked, looking down at the man she loved, who had just bared all before her, who was asking her to love him forever, for better or worse, in sickness and health. Butterflies also danced around her stomach, but they weren't made of giddiness like her boyfriend's, but made of guilt at the words she was about to say to him.

"Carlos I'm so sorry", she whispered, staring down at her feet, "I'm not ready, I can't marry you, I'm not ready to settle down yet C, my career is still so rocky and..."

Her explanation was cut off by the snapping shut of the ring box as Carlos quickly stood up before putting it back into his blazer pocket, "What do you mean you're not ready? I love you and you love me - what more is there? Once we're married we can travel across the world, start a family. You won't need to worry about your career because I'll support you. "

"Carlos, please," her voice shaking at every word, "If we get married then I'm the one who has to put everything on hold for you. I have sacrificed so many things for you, to be there for you at your races..."

"I thought you liked coming to watch me race", he spoke softly, rubbing his eyes with his hand as he took a deep breath.

The tears in her lover's eyes mirrored the ones in her own, "I do, so so much, I love being there, watching you do something you love, but when was the last time you came to a premiere of a movie I was in? Do you know how many times I've been alone at a cast dinner that you've bailed on last minute? How many excuses I've made for you? Why can't you be there for me like I'm there for you?" The tears were flowing heavily now as she stood before the man who understood her like no other could, completely misunderstand what she was saying.

"I can't change when the races are Alejandra" He spat, anger coating every syllable.

"I'm not asking you to Carlos! I just want you to take my career as seriously as I take yours! You need to understand I can't keep putting my life on hold for you to live yours the way you want!"

"Then don't live with me then! If your career is so much more important than the life we have together then go!" He shouted, running his hands through his hair as Alejandra just nodded before turning and leaving him standing on the beach which moments ago had been filled with the orange glow of the sunset, promises of love and new beginnings.

He hadn't even noticed the sun had set.

ally ❤️

C <3
ally, mi amor, please come home
i didn't mean it
i just want you back
please
you don't have to marry me
we can forget this ever happened and go back to being just us
i'll come to more premieres and dinners if that's what you want
i'd do it all for you

ALLY ❤️
do you really mean that or is that what you think i want to hear?
i love you and i always will but i think we need time apart
figure out what we really want
in a few years, if we still want this to work we can try again
i'll come pick up my stuff from your apartment tomorrow