Proposal

Her

"Rayah...Rayah...Ra." She comes running to her mother.

"Yes ummi ?" She asks.

"Would like to accompany me to the shop today ?"

"Me ?"

"Yes janem. You've always wanted to help me and today I will be needing it."

"Ummm.." She hesitates. She has promised Khalid that she would meet him today. What if he doesn't like her anymore or what if he thinks she's a liar ?

But she's met him only once and how could she deny her mother for someone she just met even if he's the Khalifa. No one can replace her mother's value. And finally her mother has requested her for something.

"Of course I will." She smiles but there's a small, dull ache in her heart.

"Eat up quickly then we'll leave." Fawzia passes her a plate of food.

"What do you need my help for ?" Rayah asks.

"I need to hire someone." Rayah chokes on her food.

"Hire someone?" She coughs. "Are you certain that you'll be able to pay them ?"

" Just one person. I met her in the bazaar that day. Poor girl was all sad and gloomy."

"Why ?"

"She lives alone with her father. And they don't have much. If she works with me it'll make her happy and whatever little we pay her it should be sufficient for her."

"So if you've already made up your mind then why do you need my help."

" I haven't told her that I will hire her. She might feel it's out of pity so I asked her to come today and I'll test her stitching skills and then we'll see."

" Ok. Maybe we could be friends ?" Rayah asks hopefully.

"Of course you can. I would love it if you cheered her up. She doesn't seem happy at all."

"Ok. I'm done eating. Let's go. "

They lock their house and leave. After a while they reach the bazaar and their shop.

"I've come here after so long. " Rayah says admiring the small shop they owned.

"I have brought some flowers from our garden. Why don't you place them in that vase ?" Her mother smiles.

"Oh I would love too." Rayah says looking at the Bougainvillas and the Jasmines and the other flowers.

She engages in the flower arrangement. As she picks up the branch of Bougainvillas she's instantly reminded of Khalid.

She smiles.

Then she remembers that he'd come to the hill in search of her but she won't be there. What would he think of her ? She feels guilty of not being able to keep her promise.

The dull ache in her heart is back again. Feeling like a burden.

"What is taking her so long ?" Rayah flinches.

"Janem are you alright ?" Fawzia asks worried.

"What ?"

"You just flinched when I asked you."

"You asked me about what ?"

"I said that the girl is taking too long and you flinched. Is everything ok ?"

"Yes." She says. " Yes. I was thinking about something and my mind was occupied by it so I got a little startled."

"You really scare me sometimes." Fawzia laughs.