CHAPTER SEVEN:SAHAL BEGUM'S GAZE

Sahal Begum P.O.V.

My eyes fluttered open,as the few sunrays from the windows fell upon me and the birds chirping.I sat up slowly as I did not want to disturb Haider,getting off the bed and I made my way to the window,opening it causing the sunlight to brighten the room.I knew that Haider would wake up in a while,I looked into the hareem courtyard of Hajjat Fort.

Immediately I noticed there were more Urdubegis around the courtyard,patrolling the area.Ehmad Khan and Faris Khan must have informed Mukhtar Jahangir saab about the threats.My eyes fell towards the middle of the courtyard where I found Bakshi Bano and Gulbadan begum talking to one another.

Surprise filled me when I saw Bakshi bano lay down,her head placed on Gulbadan begum’s lap who begun to run her hands through Bakshi Bano’s hair,talking to her as Bakshi Bano seemed to relax.Her hands flaying as she spoke with her mother before sitting up,her hair that had once laid under her duppata flaying in the wind.

I giggle when Gulbadan Begum reached forward to pull Bakshi bano’s ear,before setting her duppata on her head.They both stood up,walking out of the corridor.It seemed as if Bakshi Bano had a different side to her when she was not being a general and rather a daughter.My heart pained at the fact that this is the daughter whom Masuma begum threw away because she could not raise her.Up until today,I had not understood how a woman could just throw her child away.

Kya hua,Begum sahiba?Aap yaha kyu khare ho?” I felt arms wrap around me,lips touch the side of my neck.I smiled as I put my hands over Haider’s hands.
(What happened,begum?Why are you standing here?)

“I am enjoying the morning sun.” I laid my head back onto Haider’s chest,closing my eyes,“This fort is so peaceful,the birds chirping brings me so much peace.”

“I am glad that you are at peace,jaan.” I turned around to face him at which he leaned down to press a kiss to my forehead,“At the palace,we were always on guard.It does feel nice not be on guard.”

I gave a nod of my head,“It is.I see that the guards in the hareem have been increased.I presume it is the same for the entire fort.” I kept my eyes on Haider’s,“Bakshi bano has taken the responsibility of our safety and security seriously.”

His eyes did not shift from mine nor did the love in them dim,”I knew she would that is why I entrusted the responsibility to Bakshi bano,she knows this area like the back of her hand.”

I chuckled,shaking my head as we walked back into the khwaab-gaah,“You are impossible to break and true to your word.”

“What do you mean?” Haider questioned as he sat on the bed,as I took my duppata holding it and sat next to him.

I looked at him with a smile as I fixed my duppata over my shoulder,“I thought that maybe seeing Bkashi bano,I would get a peak into your feelings for her but,you only see her as a warrior that you would trust with our lives.”

I shrieked as he pinched my waist,trying to move away only for Haider to push me down and he laid over me,caging me in,his eyes narrowed,“You know me better than anyone,Sahal.If I were to lie,you would have caught me.My heart belongs to you,only.I have always given you my honesty and will continue to do so.” Haider brushed his nose against my own,his words covering my doubts like ointment on a wound.

“I know.” I did,even though my mind and heart were both irrational regarding the fact that Haider would be proposing for Bakshi bano’s hand.Even though I know that Haider would never do anything to hurt me,my insecurities were facing him.

“You are my queen,the queen of my kingdom and you will remain so for as long as I live.No matter who comes into my life your position will never change,Malika begum.”