🌻 Chapter 41

🌻

"It says to check my email for the report. Will you stay for it?"

"Of course." He pulls me down on the bed next to him and wraps his arm around me as I download the app and set up my email on my phone. I take a deep breath and open the email titled 'Forensic Exam Results'.

"After a thorough exam of tissue collected at USC University Hospital from patient Brooklyn Olivia Baker, no DNA evidence could be detected. Clothing evaluation results will be sent separately." It then goes on to say that just because there is not evidence doesn't mean the sexual assault didn't happen and if I have memory of such an occurrence I should talk to local authorities.

I smile at Ry and he gives me a big hug. "See, you're fine." He looks relieved. "And I don't have to kill Neil. Win, win." 

My smile falters and I weirdly find myself sobbing in relief. I didn't think Neil had raped me but the fact that I was passed out at his apartment made me more than a little worried. The tears hit me hard and I am not quiet. I'm sure I look like an idiot crying now when I got good news. 

Ryland pulls me onto his lap and wraps his arms around me in a tight hug for long minutes rubbing the back of my head and neck. 

"You're okay. It's okay, Buttercup." 

Why am I crying at good news? I can't help but laugh through my tears. Ry looks down to see if I'm okay. He probably thinks I'm losing it crying and laughing at the same time.

"I'm fine. Sorry about that." Wiping my tears off my cheeks.

"No apologies, remember?" I nod. He kisses my forehead. "I think I should stay."

"No, Ry! I'm fine. Really. I don't know why I got emotional. I'm just really happy nothing happened and it's all over. I want you to see Danny."

He hesitates, "You're sure?"

"Yes, absolutely."

I practically have to push him out the door. When he finally goes, I flop onto the bed and spend the next few hours setting up my new phone. I decide not to text anyone in my family about being drugged and kidnapped. I just can't bring myself to tell them what happened yet. I need to process it more myself before I talk about it with any of them.

Unknown: Hey, this is Alexis. Chase gave me your number. Glad you are okay after last night.

Me: Thanks.

I add Alexis to my contacts list, which I notice has been copied over from my old phone.

Alexis: Chase says you're eating with Scott and I. We'll be there to pick you up in about a half hour. Dress casual, we aren't going anywhere fancy. Scott wants tacos.

I change into a cute but casual skirt and tank top and put my hair in fishtail braids. I expect Alexis to text me when they arrive but instead she comes to my room. When I answer the door she pulls me into a big hug. I'm so shocked I almost don't hug back. 

"God I'm so glad you're alright. Chase texted me that you were okay but, what a night, huh?" It feels so weird for Alexis to be nice. She pulls me out the door and down the stairs to the lobby.

I remember last night, her saying she'd get Ry for me. "Thanks for your help, Alexis. If you hadn't seen us at the elevators..."

"Don't say it. I'm just glad you are okay." Being friends with her is going to take some getting used to.

Scott is waiting in the lobby, he comes over and gives me a hug, "I'm glad you're alright. I heard everything from Alexis." He grabs my hand and we step outside and turn right to walk down the sidewalk. "Sounds like Chase was really freaking out, huh?"