𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛

𝒞𝒶𝓂𝒾𝓁𝒶𝓈 𝓅𝑜𝓋

I'm currently sitting in a quiet library corner, books about history and baking secrets surrounding me, offering me a small amount of privacy and protection, it's the most privacy i've had in a while.

No, that's cruel to say. My mother just worries about me often it's natural, slightly annoying, but natural. Not that i find my mother annoying. I love my mother, but she can be a bit much at times.

I read each line of Katherines reply multiple times, stamping it into my memory. I'm sure i'll remember this for a while, hiding behind books and texting an english girl while my boyfriend is busy on his own phone.

Saying that makes this seem suspicious, i'd never do anything behind his back, i'm not that type of person. I'm happy, well not happy but i'm fine with him. He's charming, safe, and predicable.

I quickly texted her, the pink haired girl, Katherine. I struggle with what to say, nervously chewing at my lips. I only stop when i taste blood, quickly digging into my blazer pocket for a small tissue to wipe the blood off my lips.

Why am i so nervous?

"I love movies like Cronos, hidden meaning behind scares and things like that. I find them especially powerful when they were made in the 1980s, a less accepting time."

I hesitate over the send button, furrowing my brows, i can feel the small wrinkles between my eyebrows growing more as i reread and think more about my message.
I quickly deleted it. If i sent that, she may assume that i am a know it all, unpleasant, and the type of person who looks down on people. I need to appear more friendly and less mature.

"Horror movies are so sca-"

I deleted it halfway through. I would be immediately blocked. Not that people who are scared easily are by any means.. unbearable, to speak with. I just want this reply to be perfect, i need to seem causal, like i never even thought about it.

Should i google casual ways of-

No, come on, don't be silly. That would be silly. I do not need to do such a thing. Katherine isn't like some A-list celebrity she's a teenage girl like me. She's probably still figuring out what she wants to do after school. We could talk about that.

But that wouldn't make sense. She asked me about movies, not future plans. If i were to change the subject, it may make me seem uninterested in both her and her interests, and that's the last thing that i want.

I pace around the confined corner of the history section, letting out puffs of air and tucking loose strands of blonde hair behind my ear. My eyes, subconsciously, looked back a couple of times at Katherines profile as if that would help me find a reply.

Old slashers, 1980s, 1980s most likely leads to campy or cult classics, if i think about cult classics, i think of..erm.

I don't know many English cult classics. I don't even know many American ones. Darn it, maybe i can Google it. It wouldn't hurt to Google it, right?

I quickly tap in the question, moving to images and scrolling down until i find a poster that catches my interest, i land on one, a pair of red lips, no, that won't do. I quickly scroll more, silently praying for something to just pop out.

Sleepaway camp, never heard of it. The poster seems campish, i quickly Google it and read as much of it as i can, a twist ending, funny lines.

I click back onto the app, back onto the chatroom, and cast one quick glance to Katherines profile picture before typing out my reply, double checking it, triple checking it, this is fine, it's casual and shows my knowledge on slashers, i should direct the conversation away from this after, i wait nervously, sitting back down on a cushion like chair.

My eyes are solely focused on this. My breathing has stopped, I'm nervous, really nervous. My hand moves to smoothen down my shirt, moving to fix my collar before directing my hand towards my necklace.

I'm fidgeting, i need to stop, it will crease my clothes and i'll look unpresentable. I have no reason to be this nervous, to watch the chat as if i have nothing better to do, i cast one last glance towards my phone before i place it back into my blazer pocket, my bloodied tissue still clenched in my hand, slightly ripped. I must have unconsciously done that, i stand up, nearly stumbling inte the bookshelves, i let out a small yelp before casting an apologetic glance towards the library woman, i do not think she heard me.

I walk through the maze of shelves, avoiding the romance section like the plague, cutting through the action section before dumping my tissue into the small bin next to a plastic chair.

"Camilla!"

A familiar voice calls from behind me, i turn to look at the girl, her hair braided.

"Bianca!"

I speak affectionately, opening my arms wide to welcome the expected embrace. I pulled back with a smile, examing her as she spoke.

Her glasses were new, and her skin was getting better, which i was glad about. She always seemed so insecure about her acne. I never understood why. She was a pretty girl.

"Are you here for studies? Math?"

Bianca walks alongside me, her eyes only on me, which makes me slightly nervous, i loop my arm around hers and push open the heavy wooden doors.

"Si, but i got tired. I'm heading home to rest, maybe even spoil myself with a bubble bath."

I spoke clearly, constantly drilled about pronunciation by my father, which made me think about my speech even in casual settings like this. It was a habbit, speaking slightly slow, but not too slow, my father said i'd look like a fool if i spoke in slow motion, even more foolish if i couldn't pronounce the words i was trying to say.

"Sounds like a great night..would about Luis?"

Bianca tried to act casual as she questioned me about Luis, i knew she was interested in him. I don't have a problem with it. You can't control who you love. I would happily leave Luis to give Bianca a chance.

Luis, on the other hand, he's very..he prefers certain things and can be quite cruel about it, i don't want Bianca to be hurt by his words or his actions.

"I assume he has his football training tonight, i'm not sure where."

I glance around the beautiful front garden of the library, blinking harshly as the sun invades my vision. I held my hand up slightly to block its harsh rays before quickly dropping said hand, i didn't want to look stupid.

"I'm sorry Bianca, but i need to head home now, I hope to see you again tomorrow!"

I wave with an enthusiastic, but not overly, flick of the wrist, my smile widening a painful amount before i turn away, my shoes clacking against the concrete pathway out of the garden, out of view of Bianca.

She never said goodbye, how strange.