Chapter 2. Alisha

"Yes, I'm on my way

"Yes, I'm on my way. Could you please stop incessantly honking?" I shouted from the balcony, securing my hair in a bun.

"We're already 20 minutes late, Alisha, and it's all thanks to you. I doubt you'll land this job either," taunted Drishti, my friend.

"Thanks for uplifting my spirits so early in the morning," I fake-smiled, adjusted my kurti, and descended the stairs.

"What took you so long to get ready?" she inquired.

"Nothing much, slipped in the bathroom, can't find my left earring, and I think I lost the keys to my locker. Just a typical day in my life. Can we go now?" I replied.

"Fuck, we're late, aren't we?" I asked and she started her scooty.

"Calm down, Alisha. You're stressing out too much," she said, glancing at me through the side mirror.

"Yes, I'm fine."

"You're looking pretty," she complimented with an annoying smile.

"Shut up."

Drishti takes care of me like a mother; I lost my parents at 12. My uncle and aunt supported my education, and now I've left my city in search of a job, not wanting to be a burden for them.

"Stop, we've reached," I told her, patting her shoulder.

"Thank you for the ride, ma'am. May you have a great day," I said hurriedly with sarcasm.

"Best of luck. Now go."

She left, and I made my way in.

*2 hours later*

"Hey, did you get the job?" Drishti asked, sitting beside me on the bench.

I ignored her question.

"Say something, idiot." She looked scared; her face showed that.

"Yes, I got it," I smiled and hugged her.

"You fucker, I knew it." She hugged back with the same energy.

"We should celebrate," she suggested in joy.

"Yes, but I won't drink, you know that," I replied.

"Yes, I know. I will drink from your side, don't worry." She giggled annoyingly.

"Fine, come." I stood up, taking my phone.

We reached the club, and she ordered herself a drink. I'm not a club person at all, but she pulls me in every time.

"What do you want to have?" Drishti asked, taking a sip from her drink.

"No, I'm good, love," I answered her.

"It's my song; I think we should dance," she spoke with extreme joy on her face hearing the music.

"No, I don't dance, and you know that," I replied.