Chapter 3- King Hamish

Walking back into the shop I assembled the flowers into the pots and lined them neatly. Mrs. Weatherington was dusting up old fabrics and organizing. "You're quiet dear." She said in a hushed voice. 

I looked up at her briefly. "I am alright, do not worry." I said. "I know you are alright," She said. "But you are quiet." She continued. I shrugged. "Mid day slump?" I said. She looked at me before going back to work humming a tune. 

The truth was I was not all alright. That man that I saw in the forest left a burning sensation imprinted in me, as well as his rough yet soothing voice stained on my mind. I wanted to know more about him, yet I did not understand why.

"Mrs. Weatherington?" I called. She came out of the back room. "Have we had any travelers come into the kingdom recently?" I asked. She shrugged her shoulders. "I do not know dear, why do you ask?" She said. I sat down on the platform by the mirror. "I met someone." I said.

Mrs. Weatherington made a surprised expression. "Who?" She asked. "I do not know, all I know is that his name is Antonio and he is a traveler." I said. "Hm." She replied. I stood up and started pacing. "He did not look like a traveler, he looked well, put together, almost perfect." I said whispering the last few words. Mrs. Weatherington raised one eyebrow. "I see." She said. "Antonio, hm, sounds like a name from foreign lands I will say that." She said. 

The clock struck as 6 o'clock approached. "Right then dear, I shall see you in the following days, I know you have a lot ahead of you." She said. I grabbed my cloak, kissed her goodbye and went downstairs to Wilson. Riding in the carriage I broke the silence. "Wilson?" I asked. "Yes your highness?" He said. "Is father in his studies?" I asked. "Yes, his majesty is in his studies." I nodded. 

After getting dressed by Mina I headed upstairs into my fathers study. I knocked gently on the door. "Come in." He said. I opened the door and carefully closed it before bowing my head. "Ah, Victoria darling, come." He said. I went up to his desk and sat in the chair to the side of it. "How was your day with grandma?" He asked. I choked. "It was well father." I responded. "I had a question for you." I said. He leaned back in his chair and rubbed his beard before nodding telling me to proceed. 

"Have we had any travelers come into the kingdom to your knowledge?" I asked. He sat there for a moment thinking. "I believe so," He said. "Duke and Duchess of Southern France, Emperor from the Southern Islands, and the Prince of Spain." He said. I nodded my head. "Why do you ask?" He asked. "I was wondering if they were going to be attending the ball tomorrow evening." I said. He nodded his head. "They should be in attendance." He replied. 

"Right then," He said getting up. "I think it is time for dinner." He said grabbing me by the shoulder. I held his arm as we walked out of the study and down the huge hallway into the dining area. 

The next morning, I arose early and Mina came in swiftly and promptly to do my hair as well as many other maids to dress me. 

"Today is the big day." Said Mina. I looked at her through the mirror. "I suppose it is." I said. She pulled my hair into a slick bun. "Her majesty picked out your dress." She said. 

It was red, big, with horrible textures. "I am not wearing this." I said. Mina had a puzzled look on her face. "But her majesty ordered it." She said. "I understand that but I am not wearing this monstrosity, even if It is to be in the presence of a king." I said. "Take it out of my room." I said. 

I went into the other room that was full of dresses that I had sewn and picked out a long, blue simple yet elegant dress. With no help needed I slipped it on as well as some white gloves that came up to my elbows. 

Mina helped me put on my jewels. A trumpet was heard in the distance. She quickly rushed to the window. "He is here Victoria." She said. I got up and looked outside the window with her. I gulped loud. He was not what I pictured him to be. There were a swarm of guards on his every corner. I made a sad face and Mina grabbed me by the shoulders. "Think positively Victoria, you are doing this for the safety of your people." She said. I nodded as I walked out of my room and down the hallway with my ladies and Mina. 

Inside the coronation room, it was filled with people as well as my parents on the podium with my siblings. I walked inside as the room got quiet, people bowing their heads as I walked past. Climbing up the stairs to the podium my mother shot me a look. "Where is the red dress?" She whispered. I sat down. "I simply did not wear it." Before she could say anything the trumpets blew. Wilson went to the middle of the room and cleared his throats. "Your Majesties. It is my honor to announce the arrival of his majesty King Hamish the first of Scotland." As he moved out of the way the doors opened and the King walked in. My father got up and stood in the middle of the podium. The room was filled with an oder of sweat and ale. It got quiet. "Welcome to Prussia, I hope you will feel comfort and at home here." Said my father. King Hamish grabbed his hands. "To an alliance being formed." He said with a devious smile. The room cheered.

He was rather short, muscular, with red hair and facial hair. He smelled horrible however. I groaned. This is the man people are scared of?

"Now, where is my bride?" He said. My father gestured me to stand up. I slowly rose from my chair and walked to the front where my father was standing. 

"I hope she is to your liking." Said my father.

"Perfection." He said.