Chapter 7- My balcony

After concluding our dance Hamish grabbed my elbow forcefully and walked with me to where my mother and father were standing. 

"Splendid news." He said.

"I asked Victoria *hiccup* to be my bride and she accepted."

My mother's face lit up in joy. "Oh your grace! How wonderful! How perfect!"

As if this was not planned already and no, he did not ask me. 

"We shall make wedding preparations immediately." Said my mother. 

"Finally my Lord a wedding!" Said my mother holding onto my father's hand.

Later that evening after the ball concluded I asked to retire and went up to my room. Mina tried to follow me but I needed to be alone. Inside the dark room I lit a single candle and changed into my white, see through, night gown. Through the flicker of the candle I stared at my reflection wondering how much I would dread my life with Hamish. That is when my balcony door opened. 

I grabbed the dagger hidden under my table and swiftly turned around.

"You can put the dagger down for Lord's sake." Said a voice. Antonio appeared from behind the curtain. 

Hands on his hips. "You really are into pulling daggers on people." 

I got up and walked towards him. 

"What in hell are you doing in here?" I said, my voice shrieking. 

"I told you I would see you tonight." He said. 

"Through my balcony?" 

"How else princess?" He said mockingly.

I heard a knock at the door.

I whispered gesturing for him to get behind the door quickly.

"Who is it?" I said.

"Wilson ma'am." 

I opened the door a crack.

"Wilson, may I help you this evening?"

"Yes ma'am, the King wanted to formally give you this ring. However, he is too drunk to do so." 

He handed me the box with the ring inside. 

"That should be all." He said walking away into the dimly lit hall. 

I closed the door and threw the box into a near by shelf. 

"Good arm." Said Antonio. 

I rolled my eyes. 

I then realized what I was wearing. He looked at me up and down trying not to make it obvious before I realized his lips parted. You could see my whole figure underneath the gown. 

Awkwardly, I walked towards my chair by the desk and grabbed my long robe throwing it on quickly. 

"I apologize." He said.

"No need to," I whispered tying the ends together.

"Come." He said gesturing towards the balcony. 

We walked outside, it was a calm night. He walked before me to the middle of the balcony and lay on the floor.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

He patted the ground next to him without saying a word legs crossed. 

I looked around before lying beside him on the cold, hard stone. 

Looking up and saw the glistening stars. The clear night made them shine and dance in the pitch-black sea.

"Every night, back in Spain I would crawl to the top of the castle and just lie there for hours looking at the stars." He said. 

"What if there were no stars that night?"

"Then I would picture them in my head." He said with a flat tone. 

I laughed. 

"May I ask a question?" He said.

"Hm?"

"Why were you in the forest?"

I sighed. 

"Well, during some hours of the week, I work at the modiste. I go under a fake name and try to hide my face as much as possible. I adore making dresses, especially for the less fortunate. The shop owner as well is the sweetest. That day she asked me to go pick flowers so I did and that is when I unfortunately ran into you." I said looking at him.

"Fake name, modiste, sewing, you are truly one of a kind." He said laughing.

"You must tell no one. It has been my secret for the past year." 

He nodded.

"What is your fake name?" He said.

I was reluctant.

"I will not say anything. You can trust me."

"Alice." I sighed. 

"The fake name you gave me in the woods." He thumped my arm. 

"Yes." I laughed. 

"People call me Anto." He said. 

"Anto?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Well, it was the name that stuck to me all these years ever since a child. The city knows me as Prince Antonio the 3rd while my family and friends call me Anto. When I was young, I and Diego went to the bakery a lot and caused mischief like throwing flour at the bakers and running off. They would always yell Anto."

I smiled. "It is cute." 

"Alice sounds boring." He said laughing.

I slapped him on the shoulder. 

"You barb." I said.

"Well, Alice I hope you no longer run into strangers in the woods. No matter how handsome they are." 

I raised one eyebrow. 

"I do pray you are not talking about yourself?" I said.

"Of course not!" He said. 

An hour later after much conversation, it was time for him to leave. He grabbed my hand and helped me stand up before taking me back inside. 

"Well your Highness, it has been quite joyous speaking to you." He said 

"As always," I said batting my eyes. 

"Sleep well Victoria." He said.

"Sleep well Anto."

Before he climbed out down the balcony I called for him.

"When will I see you again?" 

"Tomorrow evening." He said.