ch. 2 • the boss, the business

"How do you go from being a glorified stamp to assisting the hottest woman CEO in fashion?"

I rolled my eyes at Rin, my best friend and confidante. "Maybe I should volunteer you for the position instead."

"She could put me in any position she-"

"Rin!" I exclaimed, smacking her shoulder. "Shut the hell up."

We were ankle-deep in clothes after searching my closet. The colorless glob on the floor attested to my dislike of bright colors. The last thing I wanted was to look like a balloon.

So, I'm boring. But at 30, who cares about being flashy and in peoples' faces?

My phone rang. Montague. I answered, "Oh, I was just thinking about you."

"I tend to leave a lasting impression," the cocky woman said, a smile in her voice.

"What can I do for you, Ms. Montague?"

"Just reminding you that your official first day is tomorrow. I'll be at the office around 7:30, but please do not feel compelled to be there until 8:30 or 9."

"How sweet of you," I deadpanned. Rin watched me go through my clothes, shock evident by her dropped jaw.

"Do you speak to all of your supervisors this way?"

Her amusement scratched my brain. "No, just you, ma'am."

"See you tomorrow, Ms. Williams."

I simply hung up and tossed my phone onto my bed. My best friend continued to stare at me, her eyes wide. With a shrug, I refocused on the piles of clothes on the floor.

"You...really don't want this job, do you?"

"I want a job, and this one pays well. But Ms. Montague is just- she's so domineering," I grumbled as I laid on my back.

"Okay, and?"

"She's abrasive, brash, loud, and straight up obnoxious. Her presence fills the entire room, suffocating every ounce of normalcy."

"You speak like you've known her your entire life," Rin quipped.

I rested my arm against my eyes. "She left me alone for 30 minutes after my interview time. She was behind a solid wood door and I could almost make out the words she was saying."

"And yet, you still accepted the job."

God knows why.

-

I stood inside the lobby, rocking back and forth as I waited for an elevator. It was 7:15 AM. A 6 AM wakeup call after a night of fitful sleep assisted me in getting here earlier than required. Why continue to rot in my apartment when I could get a good lay of the land?

In my hands was a cardboard drink carrier. Four cups of coffee: two dark roasts and two blonde roasts. Rested on top was a bag of warm bakery sandwiches.

Ding.

I entered the elevator and pressed a button that appeared to be the one the attendant pressed. Right as the door was about to fully close, a voice shouted out to hold the elevator. Pulling a face, I balanced the food and drinks in one hand awkwardly as I slammed my hand in between the thin metal doors. The doors instantly retracted after sensing the disturbance.

Before me was none other than Laurie Montague. Her blazer was black and red, sharp and perfectly cut. A matching red skirt hugged her lower half.

I smiled tightly. "Good morning, ma'am."