ch. 21 • hard to grasp

As per usual, Laurie's voice stirred me from my slumber. Her days started with a cup of a black coffee and the news, always at 5:30 sharp. She had become more lax with her strict routine the past few months, blaming my Herculean grip when she attempted escape.

"I do apologize, Ant. I was...strung up. No...No, it will not happen again. Oui, je promets...Ah, okay. Parlez bientôt."

At her sigh, I sat up and blinked to clear my vision. "Honey? Is everything okay?"

"Yes, my darling." After a pregnant pause where I did not move my eye from her, she sighed and confessed. "Antoinette and Jacques are upset at the scene I caused last night."

"I'm sorry," I murmured, curling my legs into my chest. I winced as the soreness of my lower half pulsed through me.

Laurie scoffed. "I am not, in the slightest. It led me to the most beautiful symphony. Very climactic."

"Baby!" I groaned, falling backwards and pulling the blanket over my head.

"That was funny, Mackenzie! Come on," she giggled, ripping the blanket off of me, exposing me to the cool room temperature. "Oh, mon Dieu. That is a gorgeous, gorgeous sight..."

"Eh?" I raised a brow.

The shade of red she flushed was suspicious. With pursed lips, she shook her head and dismounted the bed, scooting away towards the closet.

"Laurie Montague, why do you look so guilty?" I called out after her.

"Time to get ready for breakfast, my sweet, lovely, amazing, gorgeous girlfriend," she sang in her 'I fucked up' voice.

Agitation pricked at the base of my neck. I swung my legs over the side of the bed and stood, wandering after her, towards the bathroom. I stared at her as she brushed her teeth, avoiding my eyes. Sighing in defeat, I snagged my toothbrush from beside her and began my morning hygiene ritual.

When I saw the view of myself in the mirror, my toothbrush dropped and clattered into the sink. My jaw dropped. Lined along my neck, up my jaw, back down to my collarbones and breasts were dozens of angry bruises. My right earlobe was a mottled blue.

"Laurie—"

My girlfriend had already maneuvered behind me. Her hands glided up and down my sides, then around to knead my speckled breasts. I sighed heavily and leaned my head back against her.

"Look at me," she demanded quietly. I looked up and met her eyes in the mirror. Her hand cupped my throat similarly to what she did the previous night and my knees almost gave out. "It is so sexy to see that I own you."

"Mhm," I whined, catching my bottom lip between my teeth.

"All of these marks, my darling," she continued, playing connect the dots with the bruises. "Show that you are mine. But also, that I am yours."

"How so?" I whispered.

"I will never leave a mark like this on another woman again."

"Welcome, ladies! Table for 2?" A deep-voiced, bearded man boomed. Laurie and I nodded and smiled. "Right this way."

A nice winter stroll led us to a quaint, inviting restaurant on the edge of the lake. The breakfast club, etc. The inside was warm and smelled of various breakfast accouterments. My stomach rumbled, pleased by the scents wafting around me.

"What can I get you started with today? Coffee, tea? Mimosas?"

"I will have a London Fog as well as a cup of black coffee, thanks." Laurie settled her hand on my thigh, giving it a tight squeeze. "And she would like a latte and orange juice."