N

"He who wants to do more than he is able must admit defeat or retire." - Chrétien de Troyes

On the way back her knees feel like rusty hinges as she stomps through the sand, tailing a couple feet behind the men and behind her the villagers returning to their homes cheerfully.

"Where are the physicians!"

One of the men yells. She hurries to the front just in time to see Ahmed with his supplies making his way to the castle.
"Please! Come this way! We will begin as soon as you put him down!" She runs through the large gate and catches up with him.

"Did you see- He was being reckless! We need to-" Ahmed's hand lands on her shoulder.
"No, he is doing what he must do. I have brought the required tools for this procedure. I will check for any stress on his skin in case he tore a weakened muscle whilst riding. In the meantime you will stay with him to ensure he is still breathing, I may have to make quick trips from time to time." Hesitantly she nods, biting hard on her lip to stop herself from crying. She feels the ointment resting in her pocket and it helps her calm down, it is like she has hope right in her possession.

Itching her arm as it crawls with goosebumps she tracks the men carrying him in until they place him in a different room opposite to his. There he lays, a marble table supporting the litter as she lingers, her chest weighing down with anguish. His head shifts to the sound of her moving and he cracks open his eyes making her reach for him and grasp his bandaged hand. They do not speak, but it is more than enough for him to know she is anxious and her to know he is sorry. She grips the cure tighter, her eyes beginning to steam. Why must I cry!? she whimpered softly. Those eyes, so sweet . Before she can reach for his masked cheek, Ahmed rushes in with his tools and sets them on the table, briefly glancing at her retracting hand.

"Alright, I have called for more physicians..."

"Zahara, we must focus. Let's begin." His voice projecting stern but his eyes concerned as he notices her wet cheeks.

"Y-yes!" She announces sniffing and swiping her cheek. Her head is steaming with vehemence to go forth with the procedure.

"My lord, I must cut through your tunic to access your torso." Ahmed announces as other physicians come in. Baldwin gave a short nod, heaving with difficult breaths.

"We must address any stress upon his tissue. If there is any, we need doctors." They nod and Zahara gives way to them, moving back until Baldwin briskly raises his right hand grasping her. She holds him and he gazes pleadingly for her to remain close. In an instant she nears and caresses his hand absent-mindedly, watching distressed, she sees Ahmed undo the waist belt and start cutting through his shirt. As much as her mind protested against watching, the last thing she wanted to do was look away and potentially miss something hazardous, she was heightened and too alert to do so.

"Zahara, get my ointment and some cotton balls." She nods and slips her hand gently out of his, turning to the tray and seeking the supplies. When she gives it to him, a part of her wants to take a sample to study it so that she may understand what it does having recalled asking Ahmed, to which he stated it was classified. After he returns it she soaks a cotton ball and stuffs it into a plastic sample bag hastily, popping it into her pocket with a sigh of They worked tirelessly on ointments and wrapping him with bandages and even when they were finished Zahara remained on his side. As they cleared up to leave him be, she stood slowly and hung her head.

"Zahara, give him some space." Ahmed says from the door. She becomes a statue as she watches him, deep in slumber.

"No, I'll watch over him." She murmurs her hand fiddling with the oil in her pocket. When his steps are far away enough, her hand reaches for him again as the words of the maid's voice seeps into her mind . heartbeat races a hundred miles per second, your mind, not certain of its thoughts. Resting her hand on her chest instead, she monitors the pace. Slow .