1.1 | daffodil

'to the stars who listen'

August was towards its end and the things that were nearing their end looked sweeter than they were, like the slice of cheesecake that you got from the other side of the city because of the finesse it was made with

Chavi turned the bite of spiced delicacies in her mouth as she savored the equal balance of savory and tangyness of the paneer gravy and the tomatoes.

The table looked like a feast since it was one, Chavi's parents had organized a small welcome dinner for their grandpa who would be staying with them for the next six months. Chavi was looking forward to it.

Her eyes found the rainy night of the parting August outside her window and she mentally counted the days before her midterms arrived, there were not many days left.

After they were done with the dinner and had taken turns to take the dishes from the table to the sink and wash them all, they settled around the oldest member of their family, Chavi's dadu. He told them about the birthday celebrations that his second son had curated for him, and he expressed his dissatisfaction with the sentiment of his old age, he felt offended yet there was a proud smile and a twink in his eyes as he narrated how beautifully Chavi's uncle had made it happen and worked out a mini-reunion for all her dadu's friends who were still alive.

Then Chavi's mom had reminded them of the time and her dadu had parted ways with them for the night promising a sweet catch-up session with his grandchildren and a Facetime session with their cousins.

After Chavi had entered the solace of her fairy-light-lit room, she found herself outside on the balcony attached to her room as the sound of the rain silenced everything.

Her thoughts went back to the school's gossip sessions where her childish confessions were the topic of discussions, she would have understood if the topic was fresh and new to people's memory but it's been three weeks.

The more Garvit was winning the levels of Inters with his team in Volleyball, the more their tale was getting aired of course with the added touch of salt and spice.

Rumors were meant to be like that, they were wildfires that sprung out on a sudden hot day or in her case, a random Thursday. She had thought of ways to make her apology despite her dislike for the guy but that was the most sane one should do until Devlina pointed out otherwise.

She had already made a fool of herself by confessing, well not in the actual sense, her crush for someone who did not show his interest to girls and boys alike and if she was seen with her supposed 'crush', it would only add to the wildfire.