𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟔.

Author's PovThe woman groggily blinked her eyes open, the room flooded with an intense brightness that made her squint

Author's Pov
The woman groggily blinked her eyes open, the room flooded with an intense brightness that made her squint. The relentless beeping of a machine reverberated beside her, and her body felt weighed down, making it impossible to move and investigate the source of the noise.

As a pulsating ache encircled her head, she absorbed the environment, the realization slowly settling in—she realized she were within the walls of a hospital.

A sudden panic washed over Ebony as she observed the stark gashes that adorned her arms, a sense of dread settling heavily in her chest. Her gaze drifted to the IV lines embedded in her skin, a reflexive urge forcing her to tug at them desperately until they abandoned their grip. A wince escaped her as she swung her legs over the edge of the bed, mustering the will to stand despite the uncertainty that swayed her balance.

The moment her feet touched the floor, a firm knock resounded at the door. Her gaze lifted to see three doctors entering, and a wave of overwhelming emotion washed over her, causing her to stagger backward. One of the woman nurses hastened to her side, offering a steadying hand to help her maintain her balance.

"Ma'am, please recline once more so we may proceed with our examinations. You've dislodged the IV," she urged, as they coaxed her back onto the bed with a harshness that belied their insistence. Ebony shook her head rapidly, but ultimately allowed them to assist her, feeling a sense of powerlessness and vulnerability.

Ebony reclined onto the bed, feeling the warmth of tears trailing down her face, as she submitted to the reinsertion of the IV she had yanked out. As they worked, she leaned back, striving to recollect the events that led her to this moment and the reasons behind them.

Another knock came at the door and she looked up to see a man wearing a white coat, whom she assumed to be the head doctor. "Alright, Ebony, my name is Dr. Chief, I'm going to ask you a few questions to check on your memory, okay? It's standard procedure after a coma to ensure everything is functioning as it should," the doctor explained.

Feeling a lump form in her throat, she could only muster the courage to nod in response. "Can you tell me your full name?" Dr. Chief began, peering at her with a focused yet kind expression.

"E-Ebony Monroé, I don't have a middle name," she murmured, her gaze fixed intently on him, seeking some form of affirmation to confirm her identity. As he acknowledged with a subtle upturn of his lips, she banished the aridness from her throat, bracing for the next question he had.

After that, he continued asking her simple questions like 'how old she were' and 'what year it was.' Then, he asked her about 'the last thing she remembered before waking up.' That question forced her to think hard and deeply, but thankfully, she managed to remember and answered as clearly as she could.

"Last question, Could you tell me about your family? Who are they and where are they now?" the doctor inquired, his words causing her heart to sink at the thought of family. Ebony shuffled uncomfortably in her bed, her eyes wandering away from his as she gathered her thoughts to answer.