𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟖.

Ebony's povI closed my eyes, earnestly trying to absorb the weight of Jorja's words

Ebony's pov
I closed my eyes, earnestly trying to absorb the weight of Jorja's words. Conscious of the two-year void from the coma, the news Jorja delivered was something entirely unanticipated. "You have a what? And she was who's teacher?" I asked, my eyes going wide as I turned completely around in the pool, stopping Jorja from holding my legs, guiding us back to the steps.

Since I haven't reached out to the physical therapist for assistance in restoring sensation in my legs, Jorja and I have frequented the pool more often than usual. Swimming is an endorsed form of exercise known to stimulate circulation in the lower extremities.

For now, we utilized an inflatable pool, but since our new home consisted of a expansive ground-pool, complete with a hot tub, we wouldn't have to worry about blowing a pool up every time it were time for me to exercise.

Jorja offered a knowing nod and exhaled deeply, continuing in assisting me with my leg exercises "Yeah, I know. I found out about it exactly two years ago. I even remember going to the hospital and ranting to you about it, while you just ignored me." she joked.

I playfully rolled my eyes and glanced over at Soléigh, who was perched at the pool's edge, her feet dipped in the water while she listened to music through her headphones. "Does Soléigh have any idea? Have you told her who her teacher was?" I asked.

Jorja shook her head, "No, I didn't think it was a big deal. She was just her teacher, you know? We haven't really talked outside of school. She mentioned that our mom has been trying to reach me, but I haven't even bothered to give them a call," Jorja explained. I frowned, feeling concerned.

Given that Solèigh is eight years old, she has advanced to the third grade, which naturally entails having a new educator. However, this Flora lady continues to be employed at Solèigh's current school and holds the position of her former instructor. Nevertheless, it's of little consequence now; my curiosity was merely piqued, more than anything.

''Have you thought about giving her a call to hear her out? I know I wasn't trying to hear shit from my mom.'' I said, mumbling the last part under my breath, with a bitter chuckle.

"I think about it every single day, but I still don't think I'm ready. I don't feel like I owe either of them anything, hell, I hadn't heard anything from either of them until I turned twenty." Jorja expressed, I could hear the stress in her voice, and I nodded in complete agreement with everything she was saying.

An uncomfortable silence filled the air after the previous topic, until Jorja decided to switch gears. "The movers will arrive tomorrow morning at 9:15. I wanted to start early to ensure we have enough time to get everything done quickly. I'm not sure if it will be a one-day process or not, though." she mumbled.

I nodded, raising an eyebrow at the sudden shift in her demeanor. "You're considering giving them a call, aren't you?" I asked, already aware from the expression on her face.