PROLOGUE

TEN YEARS AGO

Six year old Elizha followed Soroush, his little brother Behrooz and Mehmet  right next to her.

Soroush was nine,  but Elizha had noticed that he was far wiser than his age.  It was also,  one of the reasons why Elizha's mother allowed her to  go with the brothers to a secret place nobody knew about.

"How much longer?" asked Behrooz,  grumbling.

Soroush looked down at his little brother and patted his head,  "Just a little further, Behrooz. A little further."

Behrooz grumbled,  "But I'm tired."

"Rooz?  Do you see Mehmet complaining? He's walking so nicely. "

"I am not Mehmet!"  Behrooz murmured.

Soroush stopped in his tracks.  He sighed and carried Behrooz behind his back.

"I'm tired too," Elizha grumbled.

"What was that?" Soroush asked.

Elizha shook her head, "Nothing,  nothing."

Soroush patted her head and for some reason,  it gave her butterflies.

"Just a little further, " Soroush said,  smiling.

They walked in silence and Elizha noticed that they had entered the forest at the edge of the town. Elizha's breath hitched,  though she walked steadily.  Her mother had forbade her to come to this forest and yet she....

" Nothing will happen," Soroush said,  sensing her discomfort, "Allah will protect you. Besides,  don't you want to see fairies?"

Elizha snorted,  "Fairies don't exist. They are just part of children story books."

"And you are a child, " Soroush said.

"So are you, Roush!"  she said, nose scrunching,  "You're not an adult!"

Roush grinned,  "Pray that I never become an adult.  These fairies come out only when you're a child.  When you're an adult,  they all become a myth. My grandma is the exception.  She showed me the fairies."

Elizha looked around and her frown deepened,  "But where are the fairies?"

As if listening to her call them,  tiny balls of light appeared from behind the trees.  The light formed little pair of butterfly wings,  two tiny pairs of feet and arms,  full with five fingers.  The light formed facial features which were humanlike, except for their pointed ears.

Soroush placed Behrooz on the ground.  The two younger brothers  and Elizha gasped with wonder.

"Am I dreaming?" Elizha asked.

Soroush laughed, "That is what I thought too,  at first.  But it is not a dream."

Elizha placed a hand forward.  A little fairy stood on top of her ring finger.  Elizha watched as five other fairies jumped in the palm of her hand.

She looked at Behrooz and Mehmet,  who had begun chasing the fairies.

She smiled and looked up at Soroush.  He smiled,  looking at her,  and Elizha's heart seemed to skip a beat.

His smile..... it was like a candle that could eliminate darkness from even the darkest of rooms. 

"Go on," Soroush said,  "Play.  I brought you three here so that you can play.  Not just stand around."

Ten years later,  Elisha believed that this beautiful memory was nothing but a dream.