14

N.B. Case of unwanted touching and mentions of self harm.

I couldn't go out the next four days for two reasons: Eid-ul-Adha wasn't one of them because Mr. Anwar,  despite being a Muslim,  didn't close his tutoring center for Eid. (Insert a Dua for this man so that the Jinn inside him would leave his body).

I had a fever, which didn't bother my aunt but the bruising on my face did. That worried my aunt, since the bruising would probably ruin her reputation as this woman who wasn't capable of hurting a fly.

My going would cause discussions.

So, the apology to the minister's son had to wait.

In the midst of my fever, I thought I had heard Soroush's voice:

"Where is Elizha?" he asked.

"Why does it matter to you?" Ammaty Aafreen asked, "And don't you have manners, coming to this house without saying Salam."

"Assalamualaikum," Soroush said, "Now, can you tell me where she is?"

"Why does it matter to you?"

"My grandmother wants to apply an ointment to her wounds. And she missed a day yesterday."

Wait, was it a thought? Or was it reality?

I rose from bed with great difficulty, as my head was pounding, like two war tanks crashing against one another to create the worst of pains. Using the wall for support, I placed the hood over my hair before heading outside.

Soroush was indeed standing at our footstep. He was about to say something but his mouth stayed open as he stared at me.

"Elizha," he called. He looked like he wanted to come and help. His foot took one step inside.

"What are you doing here?" Ammaty Asked, looking at me with narrowed eyes.

"I.....restroom," I replied.

"Call me. Even if it is at three at night, call me. I don't care about the circumstances, they can be as stupid as wanting a button for your sock puppet, you just call me."

I wonder if he was thinking of that too.

"Are you okay?" Soroush asked, "Jida was asking about you."

"I'm sick," I croaked out.

"What happened to your face?" he asked.

"I.... Nothing," I replied.

"Are you sure? Because..... "

"Young man! Don't you have work? University?"

"He is a law student," I added, then flinched, seeing Ammaty's face.

"Faiza!" she called, "Faiza!"

My mom appeared from her room and placed an arm around my side before my Ammaty said, "Help her to the rest room."

"Elizha?" called Soroush.

I looked at him.

He licked his lip, "Jida will be here later."

"There is no need for her..."

"Jida has to be here. Or her wounds will not heal!" Soroush said, loudly.

Ammaty got startled.

"Jida will be here," he added, softly, "Later. But other than that, you remembered what I said, didn't you?"

He was indeed thinking about that.

I nodded.

He smiled, "Get well soon then, Elizha."