My mother didn't have to do much except take the tray from Soroush's hands and place it on the table as the rest of us took our seats on the table.

Our table had five chairs (for the sixth one had broken legs). My mom had to stay standing. 

"It's okay," she said, as Soroush stood up to let her take a seat, "Sit. Eat, Soroush." 

She smiled, showing no discomfort at the fact that this was Khalid Hakeem's son. 

"Yeah, it is better she stays standing," said Ammaty Aafreen. "Her daughter needs help with food."

Ammaty Aafreen was on my one side and Soroush was on the other. Jida and Tina were on the other side. 

So, naturally, she saw the bandage on my right hand.

My mom noticed too and gasped, taking my hand in hers. "Elizha? What is this?"

"A mistake on her part," Jida said with a small smile.

"But how?"

"The stove. I um....touched it accidentally," I said with a wince.

"Faiza, you really should keep this girl away from the stove," Ammaty Aafreen said, "This burn will set her back. How will she write?"

"But....it's the holidays," Tina said.

"So what, Mumtahina Babbar," said Ammaty Aafreen. Tina winced, hearing her full name. I'd told her the names of all the classmates I knew and she memorized all of them.  "So what? This is the perfect time to study, Mumtahina Babbar. You should too, instead of spending time at the animal shelter."

Tina stayed silent, looking down at her plate. I owed her an apology for this. I definitely shouldn't have gotten overexcited and mentioned to Ammaty about her love for animals, Shweza's drawing, Zoya's music, Dua's filmography and Alisha's chess and Anila's love for crafts and goodness knows how many other things I'd told Ammaty back in sixth grade when I was so excited at the concept of friends. Back then, Ammaty felt so kind, our fairy godmother with all the solutions out there.

Goodness knows how many times Ammaty insulted my friends whenever she saw them. Tina tolerated this for the second time but Shezwa....she had it worse.

"I'll.....serve the food," Mom said, placing her hand on my cheek momentarily before beginning to serve Soroush's food.

Ammaty Aafreen took my other hand, the one that was free. "My brother Ahmed is dead. You are his legacy. You have to make the Hashmi family proud. You have to make my brother's name shine by becoming a physicist just like him. You want to make him proud, don't you?"

My stomach clenched, "Yes, Ammaty."

"So, these accidents....they can't happen again, my dear. Or else, all the money your uncle, my husband gave to your mother will go to waste. And oh, Faiza....just one piece."

"Okay," my mom said, serving just one piece of chicken in her rice.

My mother served rice on my plate next, not mentioning a word after what Ammaty said. 

"Chicken?" Mom asked.

I nodded and my mother gave me two pieces of chicken. She then used her hand and began to feed me, since it was Islamic etiquette to eat with the right hand only.

Soroush stared at me, then at Ammaty. The expression 'glaring daggers' flashed in my mind, seeing the expression. I was sure, that he would've struck. Soroush was calm as a child but had the nastiest tempers when provoked.

Jida was reigning him in. I was so sure. 

"By the way, where is your result card, Elizha?" Ammaty Aafreen said. "Please show it to me after dinner, okay?"