21.

"we should bring eunjoo here next time. i think she'd have fun." jay commented with a grin as they walked out from the building. 

the two had spent most of their day at the aquarium learning new things and enjoying each other's company. most of their conversations seemed to flow naturally and comfortably. as if they had known each other all their lives.

sunoo turned his head and glanced at the older man. in this very moment, sunoo's heart felt like it could leap from it's encasement of his body. 

like a million elephants running wild in his ear, the sound of his heart pumping was hard to dismiss. 

"yeah... i think she would like it too." ever so slightly, the ends of his lips raised up as he adjusted his head back to it's resting position. 

after their entire day together and getting to know each other. jongseong's simple acknowledgement and inclusion of sunoo's daughter made him feel something erupt in the organ that was responsible for keeping him alive.

eunjoo was the most important thing in his life. above all; above himself. the fact this man he had only known for not even a fraction of his life time, had formed some sort of bond and acceptance of the most precious aspect of his life was something sunoo appreciated.

"are you hungry?" jongseong spoke as they settled into the vehicle. 

"i am. are you?"

"i could eat. let's go have dinner, my treat." 

"it seems like it's always 'your treat.'" sunoo let out a chortle as he revved up the engine. 

"i would never make you pay. especially if i brought up the topic." jay shrugged as he stared forwards at the building's and cars that littered the city.

"you do know i have my own job, right?" the grin had yet to travel from sunoo's mouth their entire conversation. 

"i'm the hyung here. i'm older so it's expected that i pay." 

"says who?"

"me." 

the sound of the younger's sweet laughter filled the car's atmosphere. 

the pair sat across from one another as they indulged in their dinner. it wasn't a fancy restaurant to the eye, but for sunoo, it was one of his favorites. it felt nice to share some of his favored things with someone else. 

jay seemed to be enjoying himself from the quietness as he ate. he could tell the older man was fixed onto his meal and he picked up on a small blinking habit jongseong has when he's extremely focused on what he's doing. it was cute.

it made him ecstatic that the male liked the food he recommended. "so, hyung." sunoo suddenly broke the silence and observed as the older's head popped up at the sound of his call.

"did you have fun?"

jongseong thought for a moment before replying. he was recalling all the activities they had done together during the day. of course, he liked every minute of their day. there wasn't a moment he can remember where he didn't appreciate the other's presence. 

he felt as though he would remember this day for as long as he can.

"i did. thank you, sunoo. i needed a day like this. you made my day ten times better than it was." his words laced with sincerity. enough to make sunoo's heart smile back at him.

"i'm glad to hear that. even if it was only for a while, i'm happy your mind was able to rest." sunoo's eyes twinkled as they poured into the other's. one of sunoo's charms' was his glassy eyes that always held so much emotion and passion. 

"maybe next time we can go to an amusement park." jongseong suggested before he felt a vibration from the table, indicating he had received a message. he didn't want to be rude, so he decided to ignore it.

"that sounds fun. i think, joo-ah would love that. she-" his statement was cut short when the noise of another vibration interrupted. "do you need to get that?" sunoo glanced towards the phone.

"i'm sorry, give me one moment." jongseong picked up the device to put it on silent before he read the first notification.

'i won't be home tonight.' 

sena had messaged him even though they hadn't spoken to one another in days. his eyebrows couldn't help to frown as he stared at the message. it's not like it bothered him if she left. in fact, he did the same thing. he's no hypocrite.

but the curiosity couldn't help but to crawl into his mind.

'where will you go?'

he responded, only to receive a reply almost instantaneously.

'out.'

was the only response given. to which, he sighed. the wound between them was obviously still fresh and tearing open wider and wider.

"are you alright, hyung?" jay looked up to find kim sunoo giving him a worried look as he searched his eyes for a clue.

"i don't really know, if i'm honest..." the older placed the device back onto the table. he had suddenly lost his appetite. this only caused more concern to grow within the latter.

"do you want to talk about it? i'll always listen." those kind words meant more to jay than he ever thought they could.

"this is random, but would you mind coming over to my house?" sunoo felt his eyes soften at the obviously saddened man. it wasn't a secret that he had a lot on his mind right now, it was clear.

"what about your wife? would she be okay with me coming over?" 

"she's not there." jay shrugged indifferently.

suddenly, something made sense to sunoo. perhaps that may be the reason of the other's sudden mood change. in that case, he had no complaints to accompanying his friend tonight. he felt that the other needed it. 

his home was empty anyway. he knew if he went home by himself, he would be able to feel the lack of eunjoo's presence. empty homes aren't the easiest to come back to.

"okay. let's go." sunoo nodded.

sorry for the sudden disappearance😅