O͓̽n͓̽e͓̽ M͓̽o͓̽r͓̽e͓̽ C͓̽h͓̽a͓̽n͓̽c͓̽e͓̽

Detective Jardine hurried down the hallway, his arms full of papers and his eyes sleepless. He walked past a few people in the hall and went to Officer McKenney, who was in the lounge.

"I have a suspect!" He said, nearly out of breath. McKenney looked over at Detective Jardine, raising an eyebrow. A few people gave a glance before continuing their own conversation.

"You found a suspect for who started the fire?" She questioned, her hand strapping her hip. Jardine nodded and poured the papers onto one of the coffee tables.

He put the stacks of papers and notes in piles, sorting them somewhat chaotically.

"Ten years ago, the Rogers' case was dismissed as a spontaneous fire. We've had the pattern over dozens of these random fires for the past ten years," Jardine started. "It turns out we missed some things," he said, looking at the medical records.

"What do you mean?" McKenney asked, picking up a few of the papers and scanning them with her eyes.

"What I mean is that there have been reports of domestic abuse, both physical and mental, but they were never taken into account. He was institutionalized on multiple occasions. Not to mention the death of his sister in the crash," Jardine rambled, flipping through the papers to get out the medical records. She took the papers, examining them.

"What's this kid's full name?" She asked.

"Well, if he's still alive, he's not a kid anymore; he's in his late twenties," Jardine said, a smirk growing in his face. McKenney nodded, looking at all the other papers.

"Tobias Erin Rogers"

The silence deafened the air around them. Y/N's question seemed to echo in his mind.

Did you have feelings for me?

It was a difficult question to answer. A part of Toby wanted to say yes and confess his teenage feelings, but there was another part of him that denied his affection for Y/N as a whole. He's never felt anything remotely close to the feelings he had for Y/n, which made him think it could be something else or that it was just a phase.

"I did have feelings when we were young," Toby said softly. "I was going to confess to you at the party with that corsage. I ended up wussing out of it because I saw you with Brad." Toby let go of her soft hand. He took a step back, both physically and mentally. "I guess I never thought I had a chance."

Y/N's theory was confirmed. He used to like her a lot. Y/N looked at her wrist before taking off the corsage with careful fingers.

"I didn't want that kiss," Y/N said, setting the corsage back into the safe. "You would have had a better chance with me than Brad did."

Toby's face lit up with hope, but he tried to appear like he didn't care. "Really?" He said with a small hint of happiness in his voice.

"Yeah, you would have," Y/n said. "I probably would have given you a good chance, but that was YEARS ago," Y/n explained, running a hand through her hand. Toby furrowed his brows in confusion.

"So?" Toby tilted his head, his bangs sweeping over his forehead. His eyes were boring into Y/N's as he awaited an answer. Y/N looked at him, not wanting to hurt his feelings (for obvious reasons), but also becoming upset that he wasn't grasping the reality of this situation.

"I haven't seen you for ten years, and you expect me to love you?" Y/N said it in a calm yet harsh tone. "Not to mention, you fucking killed someone and thought that was okay!"

Toby's face went flat. He couldn't wrap his head around the fact that she was still mad because of that. He was a terrible guy, and, in Toby's mind, anything Brad did, he could do better. Toby leaned against the doorway.

"I kill dicks like him all the time! He wasn't good for you. Just look at the black eye he gave you." Toby crossed his arms, nodding his head towards Y/N's black eye.

"That's not my point," Y/N argued.

"Then what's your point? Did you want to stay with that abusive, alcoholic bastard?" Toby asked, giving her a questioning look. Y/N went quiet for a moment, contemplating what he said.

Sure, Brad wasn't a great guy to begin with, but she had no clue if being here would be any better.

"I don't know," Y/n said, rubbing her eyes, only to flinch at the bruising. Toby's face flickered with concern, and he almost asked if she was okay, but he didn't want to upset her further. Toby leaned against the counter.

"You won't be able to leave. You'd die before you knew it," Toby said bluntly, tapping his finger against the counter. Y/N looked at him with a medley of fear, anger, sadness, and even a little regret.

She was scared of what could happen to her, angry at Toby, sad about her old life, and she regretted ever talking to him.

"I don't know what to say to you." Y/N looked away, keeping her distance from him. Toby looked away as well. He's never been in this position before, let alone in a relationship, if you could even call what they had a relationship.

"It's my job." Toby muttered, "I kill people." He added quietly. Y/N's sense of dread skyrocketed.

"You're a serial killer? Toby, that's not a job," Y/N said in all seriousness. She stepped away from him slowly as her eyes watched him.

"It is for me. I have to. I don't have a choice." Toby protested. "Trust me, if I could stop, I would have years ago."

"Then why haven't you stopped?" Y/N asked, the sting of tears starting to form behind her eyes.

"Because! I just have to. If I told you, you would think I'm a mad man!" Toby replied, sounding a little more agitated.

"Trust me, you're already there!" Y/N shouted, tears starting to stream down her face. "I feel like I don't know who you are."

Toby stopped, realizing that the conversation was turning into an argument. He talked in a softer voice.

"Just give me one chance. One." Toby begged, looking at Y/N. "As soon as I mess up, I'll never talk to you again. If I mess up, you can hate me, turn me into the police, or even let me rot in this cabin by myself. I don't care. I just want one chance." Toby pleaded.

Y/N didn't look convinced that what Toby was saying was true, so he continued.

"I know I did terrible things, especially to you,and I'm so sorry," he said softly. "I know I basically deserve death row, but I just want to know what I missed out on. Ten years ago, I was always scared, and I was a dumbass. I should have told Brad to fuck off, and I should have left that horrible party. I've lived the last ten years without you because of fear."

Y/N wiped the tear from her face with her sleeve as Toby rambled on and on, which was something that he did even when they first met. She let out a shaky sigh of relief, hearing that Toby's motives weren't malicious. Y/N thought to herself for a moment before finally saying something she might regret.

"I'll make you a deal, on one condition."