4•

By morning when she woke up, Sena strolled through the palace marketplace, deftly weaving between vendors' stalls as she nibbled on a fresh rice ball. Her ears were pricked, however, focused on the snippets of gossip drifting amidst the lively bartering.

A group of women circled amongst themselves, giggling as women did list in the thought of another's story.

"...did you hear about Lady Min-seo's betrothal? To Lord Kang Jun-seo, no less!"

"Ah, the favored daughter marrying into another powerful family. Not surprising in the least."

"But he's quite a catch, that Lord Kang! Wealthy, accomplished, and handsome. Lady Min-seo is a fortunate woman indeed. If you ask me she doesn't deserve him."

Sena felt her lips curl at the animated chatter surrounding the Choi family's eldest daughter. Lady Min-seo as expected, beautiful and cruel in equal measure, landing herself a prestigious husband - it was almost farcical how the nobility rewarded depravity with status.

"Someone looks like they could use a few lessons in hiding their displeasure," a familiar voice rumbled from behind her.

Sena didn't need to turn to recognize the imposing figure of Hyeonu. With an inward sigh, she finished the last bite of her rice ball and dusted the crumbs from her hands.

"And someone could use lessons in munificent silence," she parried evenly without looking at him. "But I don't see that becoming a priority anytime soon."

Hyeonu chuckled, as he cut an intimidating presence at her back.

"Come now, Lady Sena," he taunted, the emphasis on her new title mocking. "Surely you don't mean to insult dear Min-seo's happiness on her momentous day?"

He moved to stand beside her, arms crossed over his chest as he surveyed her. Even in plain training clothes, the powerfully built guard captain exuded an aura of restrained menace.

Sena arched an eyebrow at him, unmoved by his efforts at provocation. "Happiness?" she echoed, unable to keep the derision from her tone. "You overestimate the emotional capacity of that woman."

Hyeonu's lips split in a feral grin, all teeth and challenge. He took a single step closer, allowing his hulking frame to loom over her.

"There's that fiery tongue again," he rumbled in a deceptively conversational tone. "One could get the impression you begrudge Lady Min-seo her benefits in life."

Sena held his stare, only for a moment barely entertaining his words. After a moment of loaded silence, she spoke, her words soft but curt as always.

"The only thing that pernicious woman deserves are the same horrors she has inflicted on others without pause or regret." She didn't so much as blink as she issued her condemnation. "Anything else is a disservice to justice."

Hyeonu's smile widened fractionally, a look of intrigued approval glinting in his eyes as he studied her burning expression. He opened his mouth to undoubtedly issue another mocking rejoinder—

But Sena had already pivoted on her movement, leaving him standing alone in her wake once more. Her strides were brisk, fueled by a potent combination of old rage and renewed disgust.

Hyeonu watched her go, an contemplative crease forming between his brows. After several beats, however, he simply shook his head and moved off in the opposite direction, his low chuckles trailing behind him as he melted into the crowd.

The marketplace seemed to fade into the background as Sena made her way through the winding palace corridors. Her strides were brisk, thoughts still clenched from Hyeonu's needling taunts about Lady Min-seo.