5•

Min-seo settled gracefully onto the silk cushion, her hanbok draping elegantly around her. She surveyed the tea set laid out before her with a critical eye - delicate porcelain cups painted with intricate floral motifs, a steaming pot of fragrant omija cha, and an assortment of sweet rice cakes and fruit. Satisfied, she nodded to her maidservant. "That will be all for now, Eun-hee."

The girl bowed deeply and retreated from the room. No sooner had the door slid shut behind her than it opened again, admitting Min-seo's closest friends and confidantes - Lady Han Ji-soo and Lady Kwon Soo-yun. They fluttered in wearing brightly colored hanboks of their own, exchanging air kisses as they settled around the tea table.

"Min-seo, darling, congratulations again on your engagement!" Ji-soo gushed, clasping her friend's hands. "Lord Kang Jun-seo is such a fine match. Only you could be so fortunate!"

Soo-yun nodded enthusiastically in agreement, but a thoughtful expression crossed her face. "I have to admit, I always assumed you would marry Lord Lee Hyon-un..." she began.

Min-seo's head snapped up, her eyes narrowing dangerously at Soo-yun. The other girl quickly pressed her lips together, realizing her misstep.

An awkward silence stretched between the three friends. Min-seo pursed her lips, reaching forward to pour the tea with deliberate, precise movements. The liquid burbled musically as it filled each cup.

"He and I had an understanding, it's true," Min-seo acknowledged at last, her voice frosty. She lifted her cup to her lips and took a sip, savoring the tart sweetness before continuing. "But Lord Kang is a much better political match for our family. He has the king's favor."

Ji-soo and Soo-yun exchanged a look, wisely deciding not to press the topic further. Ji-soo cleared her throat delicately.

"Of course, you're absolutely right," she demurred. "I'm sure you and Lord Kang will make a splendid couple. Have you begun planning the wedding yet?"

Min-seo set her cup down with a gentle clink, a satisfied smile spreading across her face at the change in subject.

"Naturally," she replied, leaning back languidly. "It will be the social event of the season. Father has spared no expense..."

As Min-seo began detailing the extravagant plans for the upcoming nuptials, Ji-soo and Soo-yun made all the appropriate noises of excitement and envy. They nibbled on sweet cakes as Min-seo's voice washed over them.

But beneath the refined ease of the tea ceremony, a discomfort remained. Ji-soo and Soo-yun sensed there was more to the story of Min-seo's change in fiance than mere political expediency.

Still, they held their tongue, ever the picture of demure noble ladies. One did not question the eldest daughter of the powerful Choi family, after all. Not if they knew what was good for them.

So the tea ceremony carried on, all honey-sweet words and envious titters, while Min-seo preened under her friends' admiration, the earlier awkwardness neatly swept aside.

Min-seo was in the midst of regaling her friends with tales of her plans when the door slid open once more.

All three women turned to see who had entered, expecting another maidservant or perhaps a male relative.

Instead, Min-seo's younger sister Soo-yeon stood in the doorway, her expression unreadable. She was dressed in a simple hanbok of muted colors, her hair pulled back into a loose braid. Without a word of greeting, Soo-yeon glided into the room and took a seat slightly apart from the others.

Ji-soo and Soo-yun exchanged puzzled looks at the younger girl's odd behavior, but Min-seo merely waved a dismissive hand.

"Pay her no mind," she said, her voice dripping with disdain. "Soo-yeon has always been a strange one. She's not quite right in the head, if you ask me."