Chapter 7(being civil)

Isabella pov

The ride home was silent, the tension between Luca and me palpable. He kept glancing at me, his anger simmering just beneath the surface, but he respected my need for quiet. The movie had been a temporary escape, but reality had rushed back in, harsh and unforgiving.

As soon as we got home, I went straight to my room, needing to be alone. I sank onto my bed, the events of the evening replaying in my mind. Seeing Leo with someone else had been like reopening an old wound, and the pain was as fresh as ever. I thought about the way he used to smile at me, the way his eyes lit up when we talked. Now, all of that seemed like a distant memory, replaced by the image of him with his girlfriend.

A soft knock on the door pulled me from my thoughts. "Bella? Can I come in?" Luca's voice was gentle, his concern evident.

"Yeah," I replied, my voice barely above a whisper.

He entered and sat beside me on the bed, his presence a comforting anchor in the storm of emotions. "I know it's hard," he began, choosing his words carefully. "But you can't let this destroy you. You deserve better than to be caught up in the past."

I nodded, tears welling up in my eyes. "I just didn't expect it to hurt this much, Luca. Seeing him like that... it feels like everything we had meant nothing."

Luca wrapped his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into a comforting embrace. "It's okay to feel that way, Bella. But remember, you're stronger than this. And you've got people who care about you, who will help you through it."

His words were a balm to my wounded heart, a reminder that I wasn't alone in this. "Thanks, Luca," I whispered, leaning into his embrace.

We sat there in silence for a while, the bond between us stronger than ever. Luca's support was unwavering, and I knew that no matter what happened with Leo, I had my brother by my side.

As the night wore on, I began to see a glimmer of hope. Leo might be part of my past, but he didn't define my future. I had my own path to forge, and I wouldn't let the pain of seeing him with someone else derail me.

The storm inside me began to calm, replaced by a quiet determination. I would move forward, one step at a time, and I would find my own strength in the process. And with Luca by my side, I knew I could face whatever challenges lay ahead.

The days passed quickly, and soon it was time for me to head to college. Luca helped me pack, his usual playful banter keeping my spirits up. As we loaded the car, I felt a mixture of excitement and nervousness about this new chapter in my life.

The drive to the campus was filled with Luca's encouraging words and fond memories of our childhood. When we finally arrived, he helped me carry my bags to my dorm room, making sure everything was in order before we said our goodbyes.

"You've got this, Bella," Luca said, pulling me into a tight hug. "Remember, I'm just a call away if you need anything."

"I know," I replied, my voice choked with emotion. "Thanks for everything, Luca."

He smiled, giving me one last squeeze before stepping back. "Take care of yourself, okay? And don't forget to have some fun."

"I will," I promised, waving as he walked away.

With a deep breath, I turned to face the next step of my journey. I wandered around the campus, taking in the sights and trying to get a feel for my new home. As I rounded a corner near the main quad, I froze. There, standing a few feet away, was Leo. He looked just as surprised to see me as I was to see him.

"Bella?" he called out, taking a hesitant step toward me.

My heart raced, a whirlwind of emotions threatening to overwhelm me. I hadn't expected to see him here, hadn't prepared for this encounter. But instead of giving in to the urge to talk to him, to confront the feelings I'd been grappling with, I turned on my heel and walked away.