[31] Trust

It was an understatement to say that this was beyond your expectations.

Okay, you weren't that oblivious. You expected Amias to develop some reliance on you. However, to this extent? To where he wanted you to only rely on him? There had to be something you were missing.

"Amias, that's not healthy. You shouldn't strive to be useful to me. You are your own person, not a tool."

Amias smiled, but it seemed like your words were promptly forgotten before there was any chance to consider them.

"Does it really matter? As long as I can stay by your side, I'll be happy––"

"It does matter. I'm glad that you want to stay by my side. However, you do not need to devalue yourself like that," you explained. "There's also everyone else in the specialty force. They're good people, right? We all rely on each other."

"Devaluing myself..." Amias mumbled. He didn't look offended or angry; he was just contemplative. "I don't think I'm devaluing myself. After all, I want to be useful to you. And you're the most valuable person I know."

Okay, this talk wasn't getting anywhere. You needed to take a different approach.

Think, (Y/n). What reason would Amias have for wanting to rely on you so much?

A memory appeared in your head, it was the conversation you had with the system during the second phase of the SF trial.

"So, who is Amias?"

[ A person raised to have control of this world ]

That response gave you both questions and answers. "Control?"

[ His very existence contradicts your purpose ]

Soon after that encounter, you found out that Amias had his abilities ever since he was a child. Well, at least the ability to reset; the epitome of 'control'. He could change the state of the timeline if he desired. A function that was a no-brainer in video games, but terrifying in real life.

Now, the system mentioned that his existence 'contradicts' your purpose. You assumed that your purpose was to be 'an author'. You didn't know exactly why or what the system wanted, so you just focused on your own goals. Those goals being to improve yourself and prevent unfortunate events from occurring.

If Amias's existence contradicts that... Then is Amias supposed to bring things back to the original plot? No, that wouldn't make sense. There have been no signs of the plot actively trying to fix itself.

I don't think I have enough information to come to a solid conclusion.

"Amias, can you explain why you want to stay by my side so much? If you're not comfortable, then you don't have to––"

"Of course!"

Literally no hesitation. If you didn't know any better, it looked like he was happy whenever you told him what to do. It was endearing seeing how eager he was to listen to you, but also very concerning.

Amias explained his entire childhood to you. From being confined with a loading screen blocking the door to the several times he had died and needed to reset; you listened to everything attentively with a heavy heart.

Amias was trapped in a space and was not allowed to be involved in life outside of it until the game started? Oh man. You thought you only had the plot to worry about, but there seemed to be something much more complex that was slowly unravelling. Something that significantly involved you and Amias. The sooner you understood what was going on, the better.