Ch.7

Two weeks later...

Julia sat in a bar, awaiting the arrival of a messenger. She took a sip of cherry coke. She preferred to have a clear head, and the soda was her favorite.

She was getting a lot of glances from the men, but that was because her long brown hair basically obscured her face, hiding the stitches. They didn't know how ugly felt. It felt beautiful.

"Hey doll. How would you like me to buy you a drink?" a voice purred in her ear.

"Sorry..." she said. "But I'm waiting for someone."

Julia turned towards the man. He was attractive, but not her type. The blonde hair was obviously dyed, and she could see a hint of eyeliner. He smiled showing perfect teeth.

"You sure?" he asked, moving her hair out of her face, revealing the stitches. He coughed as he regained himself.

Now she smiled, as he backed away. "Trust me. I'm sure."

She turned her head away, hair falling back in place like a curtain.

"Freak." the man muttered.

Before she could pull out her hidden knife in her boot, she heard a thunk then thump.

"Never talk like that to a lady." hissed another mans' voice.

Then the man slid into view as he took a seat across from her. "Hey Ragdoll. How's life treating you these days?"

Julia smiled. "The usual. How about you Nygma?"

Edward Nygma AKA the Riddler smiled. "The usual as always."

"I'm surprised you're still wearing the same ugly suit." she took another sip of her drink. Pushing her hair out of her face.

Nygma pretended to look hurt as she criticized his green suit with question marks all over it. He even wore a matching hat. "You calling my suit ugly? You know how many people fear this suit? It means it belongs-"

"-to the Riddler. One of Gotham's most feared criminals." she finished.

"Exactly." he said smugly.

Then they both burst out laughing. Drawing quite a few stares. Especially with Nygma's outfit and her stitches.

"It's great to see you Nygma." Julia smiled a genuine smile.

"You too Rags."

"So... Do you have the information?" she asked.

"Yes." he said reluctantly. "But I'm not sure you should be trying to find him."

"I need to, Nygma. You know how much this means to me."

"I do. But why exactly do you need to find him. Is it more than just showing him who he made you to be?"

Julia was taken back. "It's only to show him. That's all."

But she didn't mention all the times she did think about Jonathan. Not Dr. Crane anymore. Jonathan. The way he admired fear, the way his eyes calculated her fears. This wasn't love, no... This was only to show him that he had fixed her. To show him, that she had found herself and conquered most of her fears. That was all.

Nygma sighed. "I found his address. But please, please promise me you'll be careful."

He passed her a slip of paper. His writing was neat and crisp, just like his suit.

"I promise." she finally said.

Nygma smiled. "Now here's something to think about,

The rich men want it,

The wise men know it,

The poor all need it,

And the kind men show it,

What is it?"

Julia stayed silent. The answer was love. But she didn't love Jonathan. Not at all.

Nygma got up to leave. "Just know you need to be careful with it. Cause sometimes it will backfire. And as your friend, I don't want to see you fall."

With that, he left, leaving her alone with her thoughts. She would think about his advice. After all, they had been friends ever since she had broke out of Arkham Asylum.

She had accidentally bumped into him, as she was touring Gotham for her first time in years. Of course, Nygma had said hello with a riddle, and then they had become friends that quick. Maybe because they both didn't fit in with the real world. He had also promised her then to help her. So she owed him that much.

But she didn't love Jonathan. That's what she repeated over and over in her head. But as she lay in bed that night, she brought up the possibility.

"I don't love him, or do I?" Julia murmured.

She then remembered seeing her reflection and Jonathan kiss. She touched her lips with her fingers as she remembered the fluttering feeling she had felt, including the tingling on her lips. And in her heart, she couldn't deny it any longer.

In the strangest most absurd way, she loved him.