12. No borders, just love

There was this huge animal, probably a bear, dead and in pieces on the ground. A small dog with its head covered in blood was eating what was left of it.

"It's... it's Oli, he killed the bear," muttered Newt, not sure if he was able to breathe normally.

Salsa froze for a moment and then the dog noticed them, bearing his sharp teeth, ready to attack.

"I'm sorry, old friend. Newt, turn around," muttered Salsa.

Newt tried not to look and a second later, he heard the gunshot crack through the air. When he looked back, the dog was lying next to the bear, dead.

Salsa moved closer and leaned over both of the bodies, lighting them up with her torch. She was serious but Newt couldn't guess any of her feelings.

"Let's go," she said, grabbing his hand and leading him back to the house.

"But how... how was he... he's a dog and that was a bear?" Newt was shaking.

A few minutes later, he sat on the couch in the living room and his hands trembled madly, tears pooling in his eyes.

"I hate this world, it bloody sucks!" he swore and suddenly jumped up.

Then he threw the first thing he could grab, which happened to be a crystal vase, and slammed it against the wall.

"Newt, Newt, relax, listen to me," Salsa sprung in his way and grabbed his arms, forcing him to look at her.

His dark eyes suddenly changed like he had woken up from a bad dream.

"I'm so sorry, I don't know what happened. I really don't know," he said.

"It's okay, calm down, it's okay," she whispered, closing him in a hug.

Her heart was beating so fast but she acted calm, the tears were in her heart and in her soul, but not in her eyes.

"Calm down, we'll be fine," she said and he took a deep breath.

He calmed down and she felt his hands on her back.

"I love you, Salsa," he said, kissing her neck gently.

"I love you too," she whispered, even though she felt like she wasn't able to breath. "Drink some tea. I'll check around the house and we'll... we'll have the best sex ever later," she kissed his lips a little longer.

"I'll clean it, I'm sorry," he pointed at the glass.

"Don't bother," she smiled.

How was she even able to smile?

Salsa left the house and closed the door gently. She walked a few steps before breaking into a run, tearing through the trees until she found the place where she practiced shooting at different targets. The girl took the pistol out of her jeans and put a small cover on its end that made the shots soundless, so the target wasn't expecting the flying bullet till it actually hit.

She felt her tears were so close to roll down her cheeks but she couldn't break down and cry. If she did, she would never stop crying, so instead she shot bullets. Salsa fired at the targets, feeling her pain and anger merging into one emotion. It burned inside her and she was so sure she needed to lie to herself to feel some hope.

The girl ran out of bullets twice, then she stopped shooting and took a few deep breaths before returning to the house. She found Newt on the floor with a dustpan and a small broom.

"Cleaned," he said, looking at her. "I hope you're not mad."

"I'm not, thank you," she tried to smile.